Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:31:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lough Neagh Storms

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lough Neagh Storms  (Read 183 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:10:07 pm »

I spent hours yesterday on the South-West coast of Lough Neagh watching lots of action take place around me. I had a great view right across to the east and north where a stunning line of convective clouds were building along a convergence line. I heard a lot of thunder to my south and seen one flash.  I think i caught a funnel in the distance but cant be sure. Best convective day of the year so far!!

Heres a few of over 200 images taken.

Cropped and zoomed image showing a possible funnel??

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »

Paul, these are fantastic, I always know its been a good day when you come back with over 200 images  Smiley, fabulous convection there over the Lough, 6th image down is stunning, the vertical composition is fantastic. I was delighted to you got an image of that convergence zone where I was near, it's amazing how closer to one another were where as trhe Crow flies. That definitely looks like a funnel to be Paul, it's very well defined with the classic shape - congrats on the cacth!, that's alot of funnels over NI recently. UTV news just showed a footage of a 'twister' over Newtonards.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »

Sounds like a very productive day Paul and illustrated with some very good images.

After waiting for what seems like yonks, I was treated to a  fairly brief thunderstorm earlier today. Typical for me but I had my Uncle visiting at the time so didn't get a chance to capture any of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:22:33 am »

Thanks Martin and Andy.  Andy at least you were treated to a storm-you'll get some shots next time.  Smiley    Martin really enjoyed yesterday standing in the sunshine with convection going mad all around and thunder booming in the distance.  But i really really wanted to be on the east side, skies were black there all day and id say there was loads more funnels.  Seen that on UTV, the countrys gone funnel mad-unbelievable.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum