Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 10:39:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook - UK/Ireland - Wed July 21st

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook - UK/Ireland - Wed July 21st  (Read 656 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2010, 05:15:57 pm »

Just back from an entire day spend in the Co. Antrim area, it was definitely worth the trip, the convection was quite phenomenal, the towers and cbs were the largest, tallest, and most explosive I have seen this year, I was able to watch non stop convection and cells on a convergence line for hours, got torrential rain, hail, thunder and flooding, roads were that bad drivers had to pull over. The convection between 15.00 and 16.00 was fantastic, observed a huge cell with strong inflow motion, intense precip core, and scuddy black base almost touching the ground, the updraught tower was gigantic and completely solid, thunder boomed from the core in the distance. On the way back between Antrim and Toome I could see the anvil of this cell at the zenith with solid mammatus, they must have been well in excess of 30,000ft high, or at least they seemed like that. A good day for storm cells.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum