Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:42:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010  (Read 7442 times)
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2010, 02:14:29 am »

Very gracious of you John, was the dislpay really that dark? "Brightness" tends to do little only brighten as far as I can see. A touch of levels and maybe histogram (for colour) gives a much better result. You are not fabricating the image just enticing out some of the detail that is already there. Have a look at this one, and see the fine detail thats already in the image.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2010, 02:42:36 am »

John well done on your sighting and great 1st nlc shots!-better than my first attempt anyway. Thats quite a display and youve captured some nice detail.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2010, 02:51:41 am »

Great shots John, love the city lights, and nice tweeking john!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2010, 07:31:37 am »

Thanks both, we might get lucky again tonight so I'll  be vigilant and any hint of them and I'll be out-I'll have the kit ready too - I spent 10 minutes getting the gear together as I'd been changing camera backpacks earlier in the day and hadn't finished.I actually thought it was just the backend of the light from the sunset,and had to check the photos here for comparison

It was fairly dark  John. I'd say it was more like your photo when I first saw it from home and as soon as I got to my location I realised the best had gone.  The heavy black area below it and encroaching on it was a massive wall of cloud. I had the shutter open for about 15 seconds on f5.6 at first and quickly went to 2.8 and then put the 1.4 X on it and that reduced it to f4.  I'd googled how to take them just to remind myself  and 20 sec was the very longest recommended. I'm a novice when it comes to Levels and noted what you said about Brightness, doesn't that affect the histogram then? I better check that. I don't think I even looked at the histogram. I'd just read  a couple of weeks ago in one of these write-ups on Levels that Brightness does the whole photo whereas Exposure doesn't. I need to get to grips with it . I have PS 2 Lightroom 2 and Viveza 2 ...lol..You'd think I'd get it right with all that . Any advice is very welcome and appreciated.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2010, 01:26:57 pm »

I saw my first proper display of the season last night.  Had gone out to a pub on the outskirts of the country, sat out in the beer garden supping real ale and a beauty NLC display appeared!  Cheesy  We sat there for hours soaking it all in, was great!!!  Didn't have a camera with me unfortunately, but was very glad to see it never the less.  Always good to see!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2010, 10:00:54 pm »

Whats the deal with all this cloud, haven't seen a display in weeks-not fair Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum