Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 08:41:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Funnel Cloud Over Co. Derry - July 10th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Funnel Cloud Over Co. Derry - July 10th  (Read 172 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:34:54 am »

I just got this sent to my website email address and got permission to share it. This funnel was captured over Co. Derry on July 10th by Christopher Johnson. The high res image he sent over is great.

Hi Martin,

I was lucky enough to see my first funnel cloud yesterday, whilst picking up booze for BBQ! this is the report I am sending to TORRO. I have tried to attach one of my photos - borowed camera off a friend, but batteries ran out after just a few shots. it was just brilliant! I have tied attaching one, but may be too big to be sent. hope it comes out OK, and will send more if you are interested

Time:2-2.30 pm, 10.7.2010
observation point:near Creggan, Derry

Low cloud base, no precipitation before funnel appeared. didn't see it descend, just noticed it already formed. funnel lowered towards ground and back towards cloud 3 times during observation. seemed to be located approximately 5 miles NE of my observation point, near Creggan, Derry. on one occasion, reached about 3 quaters of the disatnce between cloud base and ground, although this would have occured beyond the hill and so out of sight and difficult to judge distance from ground. Almost certain it didn't touch down.
Tremedous experience!! blew me away. Camera batteries ran out about 10 mins into oservation. didn't get pictures of it at its lowest point. it eventually roped out and disappeared. have about reasonable photos from this distace.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:50:50 am »

What an absolute cracker of a funnel cloud!!  Very distinct shape and right over the city too-there must have been plenty of sightings id say.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:55:27 pm »

Shame about the batteries but at least the guy captured a remarkable image.

Suggest you tell him about this forum Martin so he can share further images with us.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum