Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:40:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Pre Thunderstorm Convection From Aug 11th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre Thunderstorm Convection From Aug 11th  (Read 225 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:52:01 pm »

Very bored tonight so was looking through some images which I thought I would share. This was some of the excellent convection on Aug 11th 2008 about 30 min's before a good thunderstorm broke out.

This a huge cumulonimbus with rock soild anvil indicating serious updraught strength. Usually the anvil is fuzzy indicating weak updraught winds but this guy was like a building. Taken from Coleraine Road looking E.

Same huge cell from the country. The base was so low that the horizon and cell blended in together. A good candidate for a funnel or better. It later developed a cluster of nice white mammatus on this side of the anvil.

From a country location looking W at heavy showers of rain and hail with cool dark scud clouds near the outflow

Storm clouds gathering in the SW near Slieve Gallion and becoming organized with heavy showers below.

Very nice cumulus congestus with updraught tower highly sheared to the R (N). Nice lowering to. Look how dark the sky is over the mountains.

Looking W over the Sperrins. I didn't know at the time but that darkness was an approaching gust front with huge shelf cloud many miles away which would produce a good t-storm and flooding.

Pity the weather is so boring at the min. I have my eye on Mon or Tues for possible t-storms or at least good convection.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 12:37:14 pm »

Nice images, especially the last two. 

Those don't look like a summer photos...  Grin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:38:48 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum