Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:03:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Convective Outlook UK & Ireland - Sat June 5th

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Convective Outlook UK & Ireland - Sat June 5th  (Read 552 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:24:22 am »

http://ukasf.co.uk/module-Storm/mode-forecast/id-295/ - link to risk map

Storm Forecast Issued: 2010-06-05 00:00:00
Valid: 2010-06-05 00:00:00 - 2010-06-05 23:59:00

Regions Affected
E/NE Scotland, Yorkshire, E Midlands and SE England (Northern Ireland and the majority of mainland England, Wales & Scotland are included in the WATCH)

Synopsis

High pressure "Urs" slowly loses it's grip across the country on Saturday, allowing the destabilising of the very warm and humid airmass.

Scattered, fairly isolated, sharp showers are expected to develop across inland parts during daytime hours as a result of heating and local sea breezes. Thunderstorm risk appears to be greatest across the East Midlands/Wash area with best cloud heights, though a few are likely over NE Scotland given some decent orographic lift. Most of these showers are likely to decay during the late evening hours.

Attention then turns to the Channel area as scattered thunderstorms develop and may affect parts of Kent and East Sussex in particular by the end of the forecast period. Such storms are not likely to be severe and will be elevated. The thunderstorm risk then increases significantly during the rest of the night, but this forecast period does not cover this threat - more information will be provided in the forecast issued on Saturday evening.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:26:26 am by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »

Thanks for the update Martin.  After a couple of lovely days in the week today is a muggy and overcast day for me - just wish it would do something - rain or sun, I don't mind...   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 03:52:47 pm »

Awesome rotation over Glenshane all afternoon - VERY impressive!
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:59:45 pm »

As interesting as watching paint dry in Oxford. Thanks for the post Martin. Keeping everything crossed that the projected likelihood of thunderstorms really does increase as we move into Sunday!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 04:55:14 pm »

Hi Andy - I really do hope you get some action tonight! - keep checking the radar to see if anything develops later.

For anyone in NI, there's a massive cell over SE Lough Neagh, I can see the anvil of it from Maghera.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »

What a day! Conor and I went on a chase and intercepted a massive rotating thunderstorm over Lough Neagh during the evening, we where located outside Ardboe on the Lough shore and had a perfect view of it as rotated in front of us with incredible motion. Area of rotation was very large and persistant, lovely dark structure too with heavy rain and hail cores with a rumble of thunder. This was followed soon after by another rotating updraught over land, fantastic whale's mouth, and well defined updraught bases. - great day!

A new storm has formed over the Lough now...
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 09:57:33 pm »

Excellent Martin! I've been away all day in Fermanagh, not much happening there just a few cumulus bubbling up. That storm still looks good on radar and seems to have strengthened in the past hour.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:47:18 pm »

Cheers Paul - my Dad's fishing there at the min  Smiley

Here's that huge rotating updraught base..

Report Spam   Logged

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:16:53 am »

Well guys what a day Martin and myself had! Today I seen the strongest convection I have seen in this country in a long long time. The updraughts were extremely high and bursting, and the anvil in the first pic looks like something from the states. Martin and I went on the chase today and Martin being up the glenshane for 3 hours watching for funnels. We left maghera and things werent looking to good but as our instincts were telling us to go for it we knew not to disagree with them. As we got nearer to the lough we seen massive updarught towers spewing into the sky. On our arrival a massive cell grew and was roatating like mad over the lough, we could see all the inflow being sucked in a line and the cell had many many lowerings and an amazing funnel!! I really did think this beast was going to drop a waterspout! We observed this cell for about 45mins and you guys seen the tops too as i read in the posts. We also heard one rumble but no lightning was observed! Heres a few shots, enjoy!  Cool

Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 08:36:40 am »

Very impressive reports and shots Connor and Martin! You guys certainly had a good day.  All I got here in the midlands was a few rumbles of thunder in the early hours and some big spots of rain, but this never materialised into anything.  Hopefully today will be a bit more intersting for me...
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 02:32:51 pm »

Thanks very much Mark.

Lovely images Conor, they make for a great story board of the action  Smiley

Here's a video clip of that storm over Lough Neagh, quality is not great however it shows the size /height and structure of the tilted rotating cell very well.

Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:58:42 pm »

Thats a great vid of that rotating cell Martin!  Cool  It was a very fierce and threatening display! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »

Thank you Mark!

1st image is base of rotating updraught with rotating lowerings at N section of cell, 2nd and 3rd are the flanking region with towers to the S of the cell.

Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 03:25:16 am »

Here's a video clip of that storm over Lough Neagh, quality is not great

Yep, pretty naff wasn't it!  Grin Grin

Seriously I really enjoyed watching that Martin! The fact that you were swinging the camera about as the drama unfolded - plus the running commentary that went with it - simply added to the excitement! Hearing the strong wind on the clip really added to the atmosphere as well!

Reminded me of the many holidays that I used to take up in the Highlands when I still had family there. The dramatic cloud formations, coupled with the fantastic scenery up there was always such a superbly stark contrast to dull 'ole Oxford. Indeed there were many times when I almost drove the car into a ditch as my attention was very much elsewhere & not on the road ahead!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 09:43:17 am »

Love it!   Great video-im only getting around to seeing it now and its a pretty impressive storm. Some great structure and you's were in a good position to view it as well.  Thanks for video its the next best thing to being there.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum