Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 09:56:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

John's US storm photos

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: John's US storm photos  (Read 3815 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 11:19:14 pm »

Ahh..many thanks to all,much appreciated- that's cheered me up .I've been doing a lot of gardening and patio cleaning - too much really and now I have a stinker of a cold.I'll post the last two days now.The 19th. was a very busy day. My real failing is that I doi't know enough about the structures to say what they are so I'll have to leave that to the experienced on here and there's a set of 4   about which Id'  like to know what was happening. I'll ask as I  post  them.

Bear with me ,Martin,I'll mail you the Cg photos with the settings  you asked me about,they'll have them on the photo -I get this in the LR  Develop mode,I'll screen grab them,when they go back into Library you don't see them. There's Shutter speed, ISO, focal length f-number. If anyone would like to know settings of any particular one please shout up and I'll post it but I think Martin would like to know them all Lol.

We were in west Oklahoma on the 19th. and the CAPE was 3500 south of Witchita Falls. .There was a storm east of OKC with a composite scale number of 12-I was told that anything over 10 is very good..So w passed Woodward OK at 1250,this is the sort of area we were in.This first one isn't anything special really but it was quite impressive and was taken at Clinton OK.Next is ther radar showing the gathering storms -it was taken at 4.25pm.  The rest of the photos were taken at Guthrie OK. at around 5.52pm. and a TV  news/weather  helicopter was above us as they were expecting  a tornado.The other guests knowing my appetite for photos (as I meneioned I took 837)  shouted to me to photograph the helicopter so I obliged them Lol.

I'll post the next 4 as a 'set' These are the ones I was asking about. I assume this is the makings(the funnel cloud I assume) of a tornado - our guides were driving away fast as one said to the others ,van to van by CB radio-get moving the cone's right above us. I went to the side window of the van as it was being driven away ,crouched down and tried to get a good a set as I could through the smoked glass. I'd have loved to have stopped ,got out and photographed it with the tripod but so often we weren't in a position for the niceties of setting up a tripod and framing correctly etc. it was a case of grab a shot or miss it. I'm sure we'd just passed through the town of Guthrie when we saw this lowering.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:21:12 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum