Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 03:32:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

2010 chase season

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 chase season  (Read 636 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:17:01 pm »

Been a while since I posted over here, just thought I'd update you guys on things going on here in the great plains of the USA. The storm season got off to a pretty slow start, while my first chase was on April 5th, I didn't see a true Supercell thunderstorm until April 29th. Since that chase I've only been out 4 more times, but all of those have been fantastic. We've been fortunate enough to witness several tornadoes this season while it is just now about half way through. I will stop the talk here and post what you all want to see Smiley If you want to read detailed accounts of Chases they are posted here... http://www.tonightssky.org/chase/2010.html

Just to sum our ventures up real quick.... we chased the following dates, April 5, 6, 23, 29. May 10, 18, 19. Logged about 4,300 miles.  We can't "really" call any chases busts because we observed tornado warned storms on every day. While tornado count doesn't really matter, we only got to truly photograph one tornado this season (but do have documentation of all), as most that we saw were short lived and occurred while we were driving. Here are a few of the highlights of the season so far (I'll update again in late June after the season comes to a close).

April 29th, washington, Kansas

May 10th, Pawhuska, Oklahoma

May 18th, Somewhere in Oklahoma at 2 in the morning, lol

May 19, near Dover, Oklahoma

The one and only true "storm photography" portfolio type photograph that I've taken this season....

Here is a video from May 18th (warning, there is some language, sorry about that lol) Also the audio is screwed up during the beginning timelapse part of the video, and the shaky video during certain parts, that was the worst road I have ever been on, it was literally mud, almost like driving on water, Chris is editing more video from May 10, and May 19 that should be up pretty soon as well.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z-PVL5clYRE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:23:19 pm by Tyler » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:04:19 am »

Tyler great shots and video, thanks for sharing these with us.  Amazing image with the green/blue hail core above the tornado and thats some crazy rotation at 3:45 in the video!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:11:25 am »

Thanks for the update Tyler. I've been following your travels on your website, very exciting. Been following Vortex 2 on The Weather Channel also. Keep up the good work!!
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:32:43 am »

Wowzers!  Shocked Cool
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:22:34 pm »

Hey Tyler, thanks very much for posting these and keeping us up todate on your chase adventures. I loved that video, amazing rotation and then the tornado forming while driving closer trying to keep your composure lol - I would love to have been in that car with you getting the full atmosphere and thrill. Those golf balls (and larger) looked quite scary to be driving through at night - fantastic vid.

You have been getting amazing results this year, I have been following you on your site and facebook as you know, and have been stunned by the incredible images you have taken this year, the structures and tornadoes have been incredible, what a season this is turning out to be!. Please keep chasing and shooting so we can enjoy your results, I wish you the very best of luck!.

Send some storms this way, the season is quiet so far... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:24:23 pm »

Great stuff,Tyler. We were at Dover on Wednesday 19 at 5.15pm. The green hail cores fascinated me,we saw them quite often. Too many HP storms really and we saw a few funnels doing their best. When you see my later photos you can see how close some of the storms came to forming a tornado. On Tuesday 18th. we got stuck in traffic in Dumas TX at 6.15pm and the sirens were sounding,the buildings obscured the view of a tornado forming, we only got glimpses, I'm not sure if it actually formed or not. Is there a way to find out with records ?

Ok.. I googled it. Here it is  http://prairiestormtranquillity.blogspot.com/2010/05/may-182010-dumas-texas-supercell-and.html

I have similar photos of that lowering as we drove along. I think we didn't stop because  it was dangerous, they just wanted to put some distance between us and the forming tornado-they have 10 people s' safety to think about. had I been on my own I'd have stopped.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:14:07 pm »

The one from May 18 is excellent Tyler!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 12:18:21 am »

Forgot I was going to post another update lol, Anyways, had a great year even though I missed a lot of big days. Here's a timelapse video of some awesome rotation in Minnesota August 12... http://tonightssky.org/accounts/081210.html  Here are a few of the top photos from the second half of the year....

Heres another video from Kansas on June 10th...

Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 01:27:05 am »

Wowzers - certainly well worth the wait Tyler. Some real stunners in those latest pictures. Highlight for me was the timelapse in the video.

Many thanks for posting them for us to enjoy.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 11:22:21 pm »

Great stuff,Tyler.I love the time lapse images-they really show what's going on.The 2nd. &3rd. photos in this batch are  awesome structures.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum