Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:31:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Other hobbies.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Other hobbies.  (Read 3383 times)
davegrennan

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:46:51 pm »

Just curius what other stuff do you guys get up to when your not doing astronomy/weather/photography?

For Me;

Football - Play 5 a side twice a week.  At least it keeps me in some sort of shape.  Also support Arsenal and go to see them a couple of times a year.
Aviation Sims.  I fly historical aircraft in online war simulations such as IL2 Forgotten Battles.  I'm part of a virtual RAF squadron (No.56 Sqn Firebirds).  We meet online twice a week.
Computers:  My day job which extends into a hobby too.
Electronics:  I like to dabble and invent/break/blow up stuff.

I'll answer for Carl O'Beirnes too;  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
------------------------------
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
http://www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

darkside

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 05:31:30 pm »

hi dave, im a villa fan and i love football as well, all though you wouldent think it by the team i support lol, also like going out with the lads, love reading as well and going to see a bands
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:36:59 pm »

Hi Dave

Interesting thread!. Photography, both day and night, and looking after the website/log book take up much of my time but when I'm not doing those things I like to walk in the country, research on the net and do a alot reading (books that is). I'm also a big film fan and enjoy listening to my favourite music, which is anything from the 80s or early 90s but in particular Johnny Cash and Nick Cave.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:38:55 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

lunartic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 06:38:26 pm »

Golf takes up time in the summer, it's my form of self flaggelation.
I like to tickle the keyboard, not the musical one, the writing one.
Just recently got into photography.
I'm a big fan of the outdoors and like nothing better than a hike in the hills.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:31:39 am »

Just curius what other stuff do you guys get up to when your not doing astronomy/weather/photography?

For Me;

Football - Play 5 a side twice a week.  At least it keeps me in some sort of shape.  Also support Arsenal and go to see them a couple of times a year.
Aviation Sims.  I fly historical aircraft in online war simulations such as IL2 Forgotten Battles.  I'm part of a virtual RAF squadron (No.56 Sqn Firebirds).  We meet online twice a week.
Computers:  My day job which extends into a hobby too.
Electronics:  I like to dabble and invent/break/blow up stuff.

I'll answer for Carl O'Beirnes too;  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I smell WAR Grennan Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
Gary Clarke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08:36 am »

I smell WAR Grennan Grin Grin

Carl,
I thought you liked Barbie. Well if you let your wife pack your case when going on a lads holiday is one thing, but when she packs and makes you put on the Homer Simpson Pyjamas, is a step too far. I'll  bet you also have a Barbie Doll sitting on your pillow Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 12:30:17 pm »

Great icebreaker!

Apart from the astronomy I'm a keen photographer. Part of that is that I collect Minolta cameras - I've always been a fan of the brand ever since I bought an X-300 SLR in the '80s. I now have about 30 cameras starting with a 1957 Autocord roll film camera that takes amazing pictures right up to my Sony Alpha 700 which is probably the only one of my digitals that can match the Autocord for quality!

I love travelling - I have been to many places in the world of which the furthest is New Zealand and the scariest was down a US ICBM silo in Arizona - I have been all the way around the world and I have long since had an ambition to see a Shuttle launch and this may be the year that I do that!

I play golf, though not often enough to get any better at it - only after I accepted that I am never going to win the open did I really start to enjoy it.

All forms of technology play a big part in my life - always have done - at 4 years old I became fascinated with my dad's tape recorder and things moved on from there.

I do not own a Barbie doll however  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

lunartic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:29:36 pm »

I play golf, though not often enough to get any better at it - only after I accepted that I am never going to win the open did I really start to enjoy it.

You gave up too quickly! Grin

There's nothing wrong with these guys liking Barbie, it's when they develop an overenthusiastic interest in Ken that we should worry.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:08:59 pm »

OOOOO Clarke & Grennan My Two EX  Beat friends The WAR has Started Grin Grin
This Is WAR Grin         This Is WAR Grin       This Is WAR Grin   WAR Grin   
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 01:03:46 pm »

Although I've never been into Barbie myself, I have been told that the best one to get is "Divorced Barbie", 'cos that one comes with Ken's house, Ken's boat, Ken's car etc......

I'll get me coat Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:01:01 pm »

As Martin said:
(...) Photography, both day and night, and looking after the website/log book take up much of my time (...)
, I agree with it and even more, the studying at university will eat a lot of my time.
But when I have a time left over, I simply relax or I'm busy with my another hobbies (chemistry or cartography or else).
What do I mean under "relax": sleeping (ha-ha  Cheesy); watching TV or listening to music; I also like aircraft simulators (as Dave told about himself); simply walking outside and playing with my pets; working in the garden; going out for a trip if I have several free days; etc. etc. ... digging on the web or chatting here at this forum is also a kind of relax.

Well, the life is beautiful, and we'd never expect a situation when "it is nothing to do". If only we had time and energy for everything we want to do.

P.S. It is not a "Barby" forum!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:15:05 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Matthew C

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 12:51:02 am »

Well ive been playing basketball for years. Ive represented ireland and im currently playing National league which is the second hightest league in ireland. Ive played in spain england scotland wales and sweden with my teams etc.

I love photography! I love just watching sunsets and thinking. i like to be on my own and i love being surrounded by friends at the same time!

Guys we complain about the weather so much but on many a night out id be walking home at say 3am, or 4, or 5 depending and have seen magnificent skies! We just dont wait up long enough! Roll Eyes Thats anither passion of mine lol!

I LIVE on my computer. love music and limewire wahey!  ya can never beat an auld comedy either!
Report Spam   Logged

Matthew Cahill
Observing Director,Committe Member and IFAS rep for GAC.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,is as good as dead.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »

I've recenlty discovered one very nice website - livemocha.com - which absolutely satisfies my hobby of learning languages (or maybe teaching too?)  Smiley

And another hobby I'd like to mention is collecting money. Not sure, whether it as far as hobby, or just a little passion. However, by this time I have a fair weight (getting close to 1 kilo. soon  Grin ) of different coins - most of them are usual (neither exceptional nor special ones).
Including:
- vast of Ukrainian hryvnas, Russian roubles, Soviet roubles, and a bit of ancient (1900-10's) Russian money
- pretty much of British pence/pounds
- US and Euro cents
- Swiss francs
- French lyrae
- German pfennigs
- Dutch cents
- Hungarian forints
- Romanian and Moldovian leis
- even 1 Ethiopian byrr (but I've got rid of it a few yrs ago)

Does anybody share something similar of these two?  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:19:56 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:38:39 pm »

This started before I joined ,I see.

Yes,Roman, I like to collect money too. ..loads of it  Grin

As a kid I collected stamps. These days I do what we know I do on here and  also create music on the piano and keyboard and  play the guitar .

Music of all kinds is a big part of my life - classical,pop,,heavy metal even, Blue grass, Country & Western (some of it).  Ref. languages..I speak german , found french to hard to get my tongue round.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum