Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 07:00:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

BBC 2 Film Tonight

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC 2 Film Tonight  (Read 1057 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:26:25 pm »

From what I've read there's a very good film on BBC 2 tonight at 9.00pm. A two part film  concluding tomorrow evening. It's called  'Larconia' and is the true story of a ship (the Larconia) carrying Italian prisoners guarded by Poles and the ship is run by British sailers,it's set in 1942 and it was  torpedoed but apparently it was one of the more humane stories of the war at sea. The TV listings critic  was full of praise for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »

Yeah, i've seen the trailers for this and it looks good, think i'll have to check it out...
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:09:35 am »

Interesting film,Mark. I'm wondering what will happen in the second half tomorrow night. What will happen with the German lady too ? The U-boats's on the surface now with loads of rescued people on board  and the US planes do a flyover and don't know what's happened because  the Brits  think it's a trap (giving them the co-ordinates for a rescue) and won't tell them. Ugh. I don't know how much of this is fact and how much fiction. I don't want to google it  yet  to find out either . I can't imagine the Brits. wouldn't have told the USAF about it but you never know with war.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:15:39 am »

The incident is well documented fact but this isn't a spoiler because I don't know how carefully the production sticks to the history.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:08:08 pm »

It's just that bit about not telling the USAF that I wondered about,Brian..as you say,it's a true story . I'll watch the concluding episode tonight and then google it to see what licence  they (Bleasedale & co) took.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum