Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 04:40:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010  (Read 7467 times)
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2010, 09:31:22 pm »

Thanks all for the comments much appreciated.

JohnC, it was a strange feeling but I knew somehow that I was not alone but couldn't see anybody. I mentioned it to my family who have warned me not to use that spot again! This morning I was in the middle of a 12 acre field just to be sure Grin

Richard, I checked the times on the images for this morning and they were taken between 0313 and 0358BST and sunrise was listed as 0458BST so it was bright. Maybe some of that redness on the clouds came from Belfast which would be in that direction.

Martin, pity about the cloud, it was a nice display but the ordinary cloud spoiled it a bit. There is talk in another place about this narrow band and the complex structure of Lacunosus holes above, pity I couldn't see what was below it. The band itself was very intense. Display brightness probably about 4 but hard to say with the sky so bright. It was also very high probably 30+ degrees when I left and at one stage reached all the way over to the moon.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2010, 09:55:25 pm »

Hoping for a clearance later on to get out again tonight.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2010, 03:42:24 pm »

You were rite Paul  Smiley

Cloud and rain all evening and for first part of the night, the clouds suddenly broke and the rain stopped before 02.00 to reveal a crystal clear sky to the N, and I immediately spotted an intense NLC display taking up the entire NW to N skyline, however they were only 10 degrees high, already type 4 brightness! with vibrant white and gold colours with more subtle blue visible on the uppermost sections. Nice well-formed thick bands and very fine sharp herringbone/waves, this looked to be a beauty, I expected it to keep growing for at least another hour before dawn and become a major display, however much to my disappointment it faded rapidly within 15 min's, and by 03.00 it was gone, shocking how quickly this happend!. Only got a few images which were rather rushed. Still good to see another display though! 01.55 - 02.45 BST. I just wonder what it was like earlier in the night while I was clouded out.

Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2010, 05:59:45 pm »

Well done on catching these Martin, i saw nothing. I took a drive a few miles out of town around 02:30 and scanned the sky without success although i didnt have a clear view to the horizon, called it a night at 03:00.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2010, 06:16:18 pm »

Thanks Paul, I was amazed how rapidly they faded, probably the fastest fade time I've ever seen with NLCs!, hopefully there will be another tonight. Many of the recent displays seem to be before dawn, nothing extensive in the evening yet which is strange.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:31 am »

More superb shots!  Good stuff guys!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2010, 04:16:47 pm »

Nice shots guys! It is still quiet (&often cloudy) overhere, I'm beginning to be disappointed with 2010 season.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2010, 04:20:21 pm »

Thanks Mark and Roman.

Roman, you are not the only one, in my opinion this has been the worst NLC season I have ever seen, the displays just don't come up to standard in comparison to previous years, hoping for one last good one before the season ends though.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2010, 11:09:02 pm »

I'm looking at the northern sky and there looks to be NLCs  there-sunset was 2130 - I'm not sure. I've looked at these photos here and they look the same. Now 2307-must be the last of the sunset this early in the night.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »

John, I'm reading reports of a major NLC display visible now - too cloudy and wet here so will leave it in your hands  Smiley - best of luck.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2010, 12:46:31 am »

You know I wouldn't let you down,Martin Lol. I went up the hill. I wish I'd seen them a bit earlier,this is the best I could do. I know you like the earth- sky connection so I got the city lights in. I see I got a plane in too.

Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2010, 01:10:06 am »

Thanks John, let's us see what we are missing, looks to be a cracker. Seen some more images on Spaceweather Sightings, it looks one of the biggest this season. Nothing  but cloud and rain here Cry
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2010, 01:22:07 am »

John, congratulations, I knew you would do it!, fantastic images with the display over the lights, great scenic captures. That looks like a great NLC display, well done on your first ever catch!!, I wish my first NLC images were that good. Thanks for sharing them with us and for showing us what's visible behind the clouds and rain here  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2010, 01:50:06 am »

Hey John, hope you don't mind, I had a go at adjusting one of your images, the information is all there just needed a tweek in levels etc. You can tell me off now Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2010, 01:56:01 am »

No probs. John-help yourself. I did  increase 'brightness'  ( I tend to use that rather than exposure) and saw the result you've got here but then I thought well, that's not what they looked like and I wanted you all to see how they actually were but with the levels enhancement it does look much better.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum