Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:43:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010  (Read 7459 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »

Check out spaceweather.com, that looks to have been a beauty of a display last night, and clearly the best of the year so far, it was clear here and not a thing of interest visible. Maybe tonight...
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2010, 04:20:52 pm »

Great looking display alright Martin. I will be observing tonight as well if the weather co-operates, there is good clear skies out to the west of Ireland over the Atlantic atm.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:30 pm »

Will be doing a watch here in Nebraska tonight, Mike was emailing me about it lol
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2010, 12:40:53 am »

Great stuff Tyler, I wish you and Mike the best of luck, keep watching those twilight arches - it could pay off  Smiley

Paul, I see a clearance here now low in the W and NW, nothing visible yet but all that could change in an hour, good luck.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2010, 03:35:09 pm »

After a long wait another beauty appeared last night, June 28/29th, I first spotted it from 02.00 BST and last seen it AFTER 04.00 BST while the dawn was breaking and Birds singing. At this time it was over 60 degrees high and actually moved over planet Jupiter then into the southern sky above the Moon!. Beautiful strucure, whirls, sharp bands/folds casting shadows onto other NLC features, lacunosus holes, waves, billows crossing a band and bright knots. The display was in two sections, the far NW then NE, it was the NE one which put on a great show at type 4 brightness with electric blue colours. The NW section was golden-yellow in colour. Got a few images.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2010, 03:51:48 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »

Great images Martin, like the last one with the road and fence.  It was an awesome sight last night im so glad i made the effort and drove out to a quiet location. The NE display was growing in size all the time right over the lights of Omagh which made for some nice scenes, was buzzing after this and couldnt get to sleep for ages!!  Smiley

First two images are the NW display.

The NE display over Omagh.

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2010, 05:21:57 pm »

Nice images Paul! It was cloudy this side of the country so I was in bed by midnight!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
rjgjr
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2010, 05:28:02 pm »

Great shots as usual Martin. I'll echo Paul and say my favorite is the fencepost lined road with Jupiter shining brightly alongside the NLC's. Those mid-level clouds put a lot of texture and contrast into the images. Good job!

You did a a great job in capturing the NLC's and the city lights Paul. I especially like the image of the N/E display over Omagh, great composition and exposure without blowing the highlights out on either one.

I'm still hoping the NLC's will drop down as far south as Oregon, I looked back at my only sighting which was on 13 July of last year, so there's still hope!!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2010, 06:44:09 pm »

Thanks very much Richard!

Paul, those are amazing images, top class actually, I love the way you caught the NLCs from that high location with the lights of Omagh below - congrats on your success, very impressive captures!. It was a really nice display wasn't it, the NW section had great structure but the NE was the show stopper. Hope we get another tonight if we can get a clear sky.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2010, 01:45:47 pm »

Thanks all, clouded out last night gave up around 02:00-tonight looks the same with the approach of some weather fronts.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:01 am »

Fantastic shots!  Circumstance has meant i've only had a couple of brief views of NLC so far this season, fingers crossed this will improve soon!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2010, 02:01:43 pm »

Another display before dawn this morning, type 3 brightness in the NW, wasn't photogenic so didn't take any images.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2010, 07:43:05 pm »

It looked OK from where I was!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:49:19 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
rjgjr
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »

Great images John, # 2 is very bright and has great texture.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum