Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:37:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Noctilucent Cloud Season 2010  (Read 7441 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2010, 01:34:28 pm »

Wonderful shots and I like the fence/grass Martin-gives some perspective. Who do I complain to re. no NLC's here. ?  Patchy Clouds cover yet again  over here  on Friday night at 0045.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2010, 04:07:48 pm »

John, stick with it, you will catch a display soon - that's a promise!  Smiley, hope you get some clear skies on the nights ahead.

Beautiful display last night!, June 19/20th, started off at 01.20 as just a fant streak barely visible with naked eye however it soon intensified to type 4 brightness,reaching 50 degrees high and 120 degrees long in the NW to N sector. Stucture was just wonderful with large scale electric blue whirls which could be seen moving in real time, they looked like glowing smoke among the bright stars. The section near Capella was remarkable in the form of a  towering vertical formation 50 degrees high and shaped like a whirlwind or tornado before 'roping out'. Also seen a borderline Bootid fireball with silver-green colours lasting for many sec's, orange fragments could be seen falling from it. NLCs vanished approx 03.45 BST.

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »

Great images Martin, I had a feeling something was going on but couldn't see it, I even went for a drive but it was no good. By 02:30BST I had total cloud cover so went to bed Cry
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

Stunning photos-If I saw that then I'm sure I'd know I was looking at NLC's. I do wonder why Mark and myself (we're not that far apart) keep getting the cloud cover  and NI doesn't. Just how it goes,I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2010, 07:04:18 pm »

I do wonder why Mark and myself (we're not that far apart) keep getting the cloud cover  and NI doesn't.
Depends on where you are.

Back to "usual" weather here ... cloud spilled in about 0030 just as it was getting dark enough to observe. A short break at lunchtime allowed me to get a set of solar observations (bad seeing though) but now warm, humid & grey ... my second least favourite weather combination (least favourite is hot, humid & grey!)
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2010, 04:35:06 am »

Those are great images Martin, so clear and sharp.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2010, 07:31:19 am »

Another great series Martin!  Cool

Work means i'm kinda restricted to the evening side of midnight displays of NLC, apart from weekends when I get a 'stay up all night' pass.  Weather on this side of midnight has been frustratingy cloudy - not total cloud cover, just a great wadge in the Northern sky  Angry  As we head more towards July evening displays should feature more, as hopefully should clear skies -patience will pay off, i'm sure!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2010, 01:30:48 pm »

Another beauty here this morning (June 20/21) which covered the whole northern sky when it cleared. Capella was embedded in the middle of it and at dawn, well around 03:15BST it could be seen at the zenith. Saw a beautiful pass of the ISS at 02:42BST it was over 40 degrees and I was thinking "I wonder are they are imaging the NLC"! Took quite a few images but they're still in the camera at present, will pick a couple and post them later.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2010, 03:32:05 pm »

Delighted to get that confirmed!, and glad someone else seen that display  Smiley

I got very lucky with the weather last night, June 20/31st,  it was cloudy but a brief clearance appeared so I got some quick snaps of a major NLC display in the N, it was type 3 brightness and 25 degrees high when I first spotted it at 02.15 BST, with silver/blue colours and large whirls, sharp bands and waves. It clouded over again but by 03.15 BST I could see the top of the display directly at the zenith! - first time this has happened during the 2010 season. Images are hampered by murky sky conditions and trop cloud. Observed a brilliant pass of the ISS, it made a close approach to Jupiter, the pair looked spectacular.

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2010, 03:39:30 pm »

Here goes, please be patient Tinypic chronic!!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:51:35 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2010, 04:11:23 pm »

Very nice images!, the capture with the house in it is classy  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2010, 04:14:02 pm »

Great set of images gentlemen, you sure are capturing the best seen so far. John, I love the shot of the ISS heading toward Jupiter, but out of NLC view though!
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2010, 04:29:29 pm »

Thanks Martin, you got a nice set yourself, mind you at one stage it was touch and go here with the cloud, then as if by magic it cleared! Glad you got to see it.

Thanks Richard, it was a very high bright pass but unfortunately nowhere near the NLC's. That image is looking almost SE so it shows you just how bright the sky is this time of year. I also had a visit from a lovely owl about that time, that has happened nearly every time this season!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2010, 08:16:28 pm »

Fantastic! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2010, 01:44:23 pm »

Major NLCs reported over Germany yesterday evening, it was clear here but nothing was visible at all, perhaps the signs are there for another big event over the next few nights!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum