Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 09:57:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Solar Prominence 13th April

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Prominence 13th April  (Read 209 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:50:37 pm »

I don't think I shared this image with you here for some unknown reason, however it has to be an image that has got me the most attention:

First of all I got my first front page headline on spaceweather http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=13&month=04&year=2010 which I was particulary pleased about.  Since then i've had emails from NASA, Cambridge and Leicester Universities aswell as organisers from NEAF in the USA asking if they can use the image.  In addition i've had numerous emails from people around the world messaging me to congratulate me on it.  Then to top it off a few days ago I was contacted by producers from 'The Sky at Night' asking if they can use it on the forthcoming episode as part of a news feature!

I'm gobsmacked by all this! - as a teenager some 20 odd years ago I regularly corresponed by post with Sir Patrick as I was 'chairman' of our school astronomy society, so now for him to be featuring one of my pickies is a true honour!

If you're interested in the episode i'm reliably informed by the producer that the short version will be screened on BBC1 at 00:25 this Sunday night/Monday morning. The longer BBC4 version will be screened at 7pm on Monday, repeated at 01.25am Tuesday. The short version will be screened again on Saturday on BBC2 at 2.25pm.  However they only guarantee the images will be in the longer version, which is also the version that is on the CD that comes with the sky at night magazine...

Happy days!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:25:38 pm »

Yes, it's a great image ... but you need luck as well as technique, the sky has to be clear when the thing blows & it doesn't take long to disperse!
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:00:09 pm »

Thanks Brian, yes lots of luck involved!  Had that rare phenomenom of clear skies, and it was only due to a heads up from Paul Robertson on CN that I went out to look as I was settling down on the sofa at the time with a coffee wondering what to have for breakfast.  A few minutes later and I would have been making a bacon butty and probably would have missed it.  It dispersed very quickly in just over an hour...
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »

Wow Mark well done mate great image.
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com

Pages: [1]