Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 10:11:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Multi Vortex Funnel/Tornado Event!! - Maghera Area - April 29th

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi Vortex Funnel/Tornado Event!! - Maghera Area - April 29th  (Read 1106 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

Paul, by any chance do you still have those radar grabs? - if you do, any chance you could send them over to me? - would love to have them for the record.  Smiley, thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 11:10:26 pm »

No problem Martin just sent them to you there.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 02:17:57 am »

Thanks very much Paul - just checked my mail there now - cheers for favour  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:05 pm »

Thought I would add this for the record - it's the model simulation by David Smart, interesting the way the simulation shows the multiple vortices including ground contact.

That was some mulit vortex in the US - seen Mike's great images, and I think Tyler has fantastic images too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:46:25 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 07:24:05 am »

Fascinating stuff guys!  You don't get this on the BBC website  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 08:05:24 pm »

lol Mark - no BBC coverage at all  Smiley

Just completed a 2 page image account on this event, very difficult to do it justice but it's done now for what it's worth if anyone is interested in reading. Big lesson learned from this - always take your video camera with you.

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Tornadic%20Vortex%20-%20%20Maghera%20-%20Page%201.html
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »

Thats a fantastic read Martin - thanks for sharing Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 10:09:40 pm »

Thanks very much for reading it Mark  Smiley - took me a long time to calm down and make an attempt at it, it's difficult to do justice to such an event - next time I will have the video camera with me!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 06:32:45 pm »

I have been corresponding with Tornado expert Dr. John Tyrrell from TORRO who's current investigating this event, this is an edited version of one his emails...

''I always think that observation takes precedence over theory. That is how we expand our understanding. All models are simplifications of a very complex reality and few things in life fit the simplified models. As a result observations may challenge our understanding of the world around us. What you certainly saw and experienced was more than one violent, rotating vortex associated with the same storm cell. They may not have looked as if they were straight from the textbook, but few things in the natural world are like that. 

The upper air sounding used in the discussion was made from Valentia. Its lack of suitable upper air conditions favouring vorticity and possible tornado development appears to have influenced many. I can understand why this sounding was selected - Valentia is in Ireland. However, if we think synoptically and geographically, I would suggest that this was not the appropriate sounding to look for clues. That was at Albermarle in NE England! It is closer to Maghera geographically. Also, it had a much more similar synoptic chronology over those hours than did Valentia. For example, its position in respect to the low ressure centre was much more similar than Valentia and the troughs shown on the synoptic chart were travelling from NI onwards across N England. Obviously there would be some time delay. So, If you look at the 00Z sounding at Albermarle for 30 April you get a very different picture indeed. Very significant speed and directional shear, albeit in a low CAPE environment (very normal for the majority of our tornadoes in any case) - all this at a relatively low level, up to 500 hPA. That's a pretty typical context in which tornades occur in Ireland.

With regard to damage on the ground, it may be worth reflectng on the fact that the size of the vortex does not automatically match the severity and extent of any damage. Tornadoes with large dimensions can be relatively weak as far as wind speeds are concerend and the damage caused may be quite difficult to trace, especially after a period of time has elapsed. If the tornado intensity had been the equivalent to T0 or T1, it would have been difficult to pick out in the open countryside. The fact that you did not find any damage does not mean that the circulation was not on the ground surface for some period of the vortice's life span''.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum