Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ash Cloud Photo ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ash Cloud Photo ?  (Read 305 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:24:51 pm »

I was up with the lark this morning-5.10-am and took myself to one of our local hills and took this photo at 0633(sunrise was 0607). I'm only assuming some volcanic dust was in amongst the regular cloud.I had to use a 2-stop Grad. filter   due to the rising sun .

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »

Great image from what looks like a quiet and peaceful spot.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:36:36 pm »

That's a great image John and tempting to call an ash cloud, worth shooting it again this evening to see if you can get a repeat show, I have seen something like ash clouds here during the day around the Sun but didn't notice anything unusual about the sunset here yesterday, worth checking out again this evening. Lovely image by the way!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:59:31 am »

Yes,  a pleasant location,Richard - it's a golf course but at that time no golfers  but it's also public land and they don't mix too well,we had Ben the dog up there one day and a golf ball went inches past my wife's head (hit by a 14 year old out with his 'fun golf' playing family -  we didn't go again and in the local  paper this weekend a lady wrote in who had been hit in the chin with a sliced shot and the golfers just carried on, so, as they say 'something should be done about it'  one ot the  other but not both.

All a bit disappointing ,Martin. I think people were expecting skies like they have been after some of the other worldwide volcanoes.Turner's famous paintings  and Rembrandts for instance  which featured the multicoloured skies showed the world what Krakatoa (1883) did for sunsets.

Here's what Turner saw http://www.kenbushe.co.uk/html/colour_and_light_paintings_aft.html

I see that scientists are studying the old Masters to see the results of volcanic ash and also in relation to the global climate.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/oct/01/climatechange.scienceofclimatechange

Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:31:39 am »

I think we need to give it a bit longer before we get something more than the subtle effects we've had over the past couple of days - get a bit more ash in the upper atmosphere etc...

Still a nice capture John  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum