Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:07:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Iceland volcano - Ash Cloud to UK

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iceland volcano - Ash Cloud to UK  (Read 1211 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 08:47:45 pm »

Here's an interesting fisheye shot I took this morning - quite a bit of flare from the Sun, but not a single contrail!

Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 01:52:38 am »

just a quick snap taken from my friends phone at stoneyford lake on the evening of the 15th

Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 10:35:51 pm »

Volcanic sunset on April 16th looking west over the Sperrin Mountains from Maghera. The Sun sports a faint 15 degree pillar. Within the vicinity of the Sun are 'cirrus-like' strips of cloud which looked like NLC bands visually, these have been visible for the last two evenings. Those bands are ash clouds which have been confirmed by atmospheric expert Les Cowley. They are located in the Troposphere. These strips were complimented by a 1.5 hour, orange, low elevation afterglow.

Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 02:17:15 am »

Great pictures all of you!

I saw similar clouds to like what you described and showed this evening.  This could be very interesting, I can't see the volcano and its effects disappearing any time soon, which means more volcsnic sunsets for a while yet! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 08:06:11 am »

the ash cloud from the Icelandic volcano is heading right over the UK and airports are cancelling flights
There is a danger from flying right through the ash cloud at a short distance - where the cloud is optically thick - but it takes a lot to stop a jet engine. The recorded examples of engine loss due to volcanic ash have been at ranges of tens of kilometres from the erupting volcano, not hundreds or thousands. Stopping flights in the UK is a gross over-reaction.

OTOH if if means no contrails blotting out the sky, I hope the volcano keeps erupting forever!

I agree,Brian OTT.  What I don't understand is why flights to Europe or even the US can't take off and stay at ,say, 15-17,000 feet (the ash ,I believe, is at 20,000 feet) and then when clear of the zone climb  to the 35,000 feet that the Trans-Atlantic flights travel at, same coming in, get well under the cloud,15,000 feet doesn't pose a danger I wouldn't have thought.What about the planes that us leave Southampton stay quite low and land at Dijon or even further south. Maybe it's my age but I've lost all confidence in authorities whatever body they are.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 10:35:28 am »

It's one of those no win situation for the authorities i'm afraid.   They play the safety card like they are doing now and ground flights which annoys the heck out of people, however if they allow flights to resume and a plane comes down / suffers engine damage then they will get hauled over the coals for letting planes take off...  They can't win.   Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 11:07:36 am »

Two images from the evening of the 16/4/10 showing the same possible ash clouds as in Martin's shots and the faint sun pillar. These are from the same shot and have been cropped.  Obviously there is ash in the atmosphere but it must not be at the right elevation or significant quantity out to my west as sunsets have been nothing out of the ordinary-buts there plenty of time yet in the days ahead and Eyjafjallajoekull continues to erupt. By the way has anyone tried to pronunce Eyjafjallajoekull ??   What a mouthfull!! Grin

Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 11:19:36 am »

By the way has anyone tried to pronunce Eyjafjallajoekull ??
Eye-slandic volcano. I daren't even try to spell it.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »

Lovely colours,there's probably ash in there somewhere.

I had this link sent to me-some wonderful eruption photos.  http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/eyafallajokull_20100416-en.html
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 07:05:57 pm »

Very nice pics in that link John, thanks for sharing! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 07:48:10 pm »

Lovely images Paul, definitely volcanic ash clouds in there in the form of those NLC-type strips.

Looking forward to seeing what this evening's sunset will produce.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 05:56:36 pm »

Volcanic ash clouds in the sky here all day long, with halo too. They look like NLC bands and herringbone structure. Watch out this evening.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum