Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 03:54:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Call To Dave Grennan (Supercell Related)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Call To Dave Grennan (Supercell Related)  (Read 557 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:45:55 pm »

Dave, thanks very much for taking the time out to write that fantastic and detailed reply which I appreciate very much. Now I'm delighted I asked!.

That sounds like not only a great example of severe weather in Ireland, but quite a terrifying experience also. Not many people can say they have had a closer encounter with a tornado in this country, that makes two on this forum already, which shows just how often these events occur. Did you get any investigators ringing you after the New Year's day event , such as John Tyrrell from TORRO?. The account you wrote is amazing reading.

The sequence of events at the graveyard matches the classic severe weather structures on a storm cell. The dark wall moving toward you must have been the gust front with shelf cloud marking the leading edge of the storm cell. Behind that is the precip core where lightning would be most frequent, behind that was the rain free base where tornados can lurk. The improved visiblity after the encounter confirms that. (see image below - cell moving L to R)

I may have read on a few news websites about the car incident in Dublin so I must get back on the net and do some more research. The incredible experience you kindly shared with me has just got me even more interested in this subject than ever before!

Thanks also for the supercell and funnel info from the first account. I could imagine the adrenalin pumping as you ran for the camera!. Must have been quite a vortex whipped up by the rotation in the cell.

Thanks again Dave for the information, I will be returning to this thread again and again.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:47:59 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum