Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 16, 2024, 04:51:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mallards on our pond

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mallards on our pond  (Read 430 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:52:32 pm »

This couple have decided it's a quiet place to be and have been here for three days,they leave just  before as the last vestiges of light disappear from the sky. When they go,as they do now and again throughout the day,the fish come to the surface for food, otherwise they stay low down. Yesterday they (the ducks) were sitting on the grass.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 06:24:39 pm »

Nice images John! looks like a very tranquil place to be, I would be happy sitting on a warm rock there watching the Ducks and reading a book. First image is my favourite  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »

LOl..No warm rocks here, Martin, weather as bad as ever today.

I took these this morning.

Settings for the female (photo 2) were..1/200  f9  ISO 400 400mm Centre weighted (my usual  setting-maybe spot would have been more appropriate so close) Still needed  ISO 400 because the light's not atall good.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:30:09 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »

Great shots, all of them John, but I love the color in the last one!
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:32:23 am »

Resident ducks!  Love it!  Grin  We have a plastic duck on our pond, not quite the same I know, lol.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 12:31:51 pm »

Yes, Richard,lovely colours indeed and that green neck of Mr. Mallard (I call them Mr & Mrs.lol) is sometimes a striking purple depending on how the sun strikes it.

Lol We had plastic ducks once, Mark but that was to keep herons away.  What happened yesterday morning  was that Mr. M. flew in on his own and he walked around the lawn,very purposefully looking here and there and then went to the side of the house and peered down the side passage and then went to the edge of the pond and looked down into the water and then flew off. He was clearly looking for his wife. Neither returned so yesterday morning I went across to the large municipal pond hoping NOT to see a dead Mrs. M.

There;'s quite a few  mallards over there and they all look the same to me Lol. As I was near home returning, there they were in the brook 50 metres from home so I said 'hello' lol and they looked up - I hadn't been in 5 minutes when they crash landed on the pond (and the fish took cover lol)  It's 12.28pm now and they've been here all morning asleep on the lawn.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum