Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 10:42:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Congratulations Mr McKenna

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Congratulations Mr McKenna  (Read 328 times)
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2010, 01:04:42 am »

Just finally got round to reading the April edition of The Sky at night magazine over a late supper and noticed a familiar looking face on page 65 of the said edition (though not as familiar as the picture of some guy from Selsey which graces the top of the page)!  Grin

For the benefit for those who haven't seen the article, it concerns tips and advice on how to keep a useful observing log and, although it is mainly aimed at the beginner, I think it will be of great interest to anyone, beginner or otherwise, who has an interest in recording what they see at the eyepiece. Amongst the other featured observers/sketchers is the Sky at Night's Will Gater. As Martin states, keeping a log is a great way of recording your progress 'through the passage of time'. It pretty much acts as an astronomical diary so you can look back at past entries which can rekindle the joy of, say, viewing a new comet for the first time, finding a new DSO, observing a superb meteor shower etc. etc.

Anyway congrats Martin. A pity that they didn't include your website in the article in view of the tons of detail you have there which would have made a great 'follow up' source of information for those wishing to pursue the subject further.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:24:44 am »

Congratulations Martin!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:41:38 am »

Thanks very much for the all the info Andy and for posting this here. I haven't got the new edition yet so I don't know what way it's laid out etc, but will be looking out for it in the shops over the weekend. Pity they didn't use the website address, but no matter.

Thanks again, and thanks Richard to.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:26:27 pm »

Well done Martin - I was in the newsagents yesterday and the mag hasn't made it across the water yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing the article when it does. Martin has always been meticulous in logging his observations - something I've never got around to doing except for the odd bit of blogging and some snaps, so it will be good to see what I should be doing!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 03:25:27 pm »

Thanks very much Paul, I haven't see the magazine yet either, it must come out late over here but I will get a look at it when arrives on the shelves next week or so. Yip, I'm still keeping the log books, they were lasted update today lol. This is currently my 7th log book. Well worth keeping if anyone hasn't tried it before - looking back on all those memories from earlier years is priceless.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:50:02 pm »

You guys need to subscribe to the magazine! I've done so since shortly after the magazine was first launched in 2005. Delivery is always quicker than my local WHSmith & works out slightly cheaper in the long run, too.

Martin has always been meticulous in logging his observations - something I've never got around to doing except for the odd bit of blogging and some snaps, so it will be good to see what I should be doing!

I'm very much in the same boat as you Paul, though I still have all of my records going back to 1991 of exposure details & sky conditions when testing out new films for astro imaging. Looking at my old records often conjures up happy memories of particular nights when I was, for instance, observing/imaging a new object for the first tome - or trying out a new film etc................................

Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 04:14:56 am »

That's interesting! Can someone please scan or photograph this article and send it to my emailbox?  Roll Eyes (see profile)
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum