Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 05:25:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Late March T-storm Potential UK & Ireland 2010

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Late March T-storm Potential UK & Ireland 2010  (Read 1114 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 12:05:22 am »

I have really enjoyed reading all the reports and images turned a lively day indeed.
My computer is damaged so can't get online much until it visits the comp doctor so using sister's iPod at moment.

Conor and I chased today for hours, we intercepted the midday non severe squall line which poduced intense hail and poweful gusts which shook the car while I was driving up glenshane, we watched it travel to the ne and could see the well developed rear of the gust front with great precip curtains. We saw 2 rope-like forms among the hail which lowered near the sperrins, too far away to be certain but could have been a narrow funnel, we will never know for sure what it was. The convective line had a huge back sheared anvil with tiny mamma with considerable length.

After this we got on more lovely cells with large anvils and the best mamma I have seen in a long time with huge White bags over maghera, it was an exciting drive trying to get a lace to pull over and shoot it but we got there in the end. From drumlamph we saw hail curtains rotating slowly at close range in front of us which was VERY cool and something I have never seen before. The double bows on the hail curtains were spectacular! We ended the day at 16.00 since on the road from 11.00. We had to drive back to conors to check the radar and at one stage used the comp at the library so we were semi blind. That. Squall line was the length of ireland, it split in two and the n section hit us yellow and pink radar echoes, it produced lightning over w and e parts of n. Ireland so the gfs charts, torro and estofex were correct all along. There was 400 cape although I think it was less than this however the wind shear made the big difference. It was our forts chase of the year and it was a success, we really had a good time.

I got images but regret not taking vid of the squall line, conor has a few images on the ukww. Keep updating this section with further convective news/chat/forecasts. Glad everyone enjoyed the exciting weather!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »

Sounds good Martin!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 06:02:46 pm »

Quite a few thunderstorm sferics showing up in the English Channel just off the south coast. Could be a rough evening for the SE!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »

That's really worth keeping an eye on as you said Paul. Looks like plenty of lightning about to hit the south coast of Britain...

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 08:04:37 pm »

Theres quite a few flashes in the SE corner there! This could be an interesting low pressure system, lets see how it develops over the next couple of days  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 02:03:10 pm »

TORRO have a convective/tornado discussion out for England today....

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 02:21:36 pm »

A number of sferics showing up including in the Republic, the English Channel again and the atlantic.  The English Channel really is seeing alot of electrical activity this past week

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum