Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:35:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Snow Potential - Late March

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow Potential - Late March  (Read 1232 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:08:48 pm »

Really surprised know one has been updating the forum about the recent thunderstorms which hit Britain yesterday with hundreds of sferics recorded and a possible tornado in the same region which lifted several huge containers into the air for a large distance. The storms over the UK that day were very impressive and surprisingly strong for March. The 2010 storm season is well under way!

Amazingly Winter is returning again next week with cold spell number 8. A Nly blast should bring sleet and snow to parts of Ireland, N. Ireland and England from Mon/Tues straight through until Thurs. That's going to be a shock to the system!. Met Office already have weather warnings out for the above regions. Please use this thread to continue discussion, forecasts, chat and images about the new cold spell.

My computer has just been left in for repairs today and the company has been kind enough to lend me a lap top so I can keep an eye on things for the time being.

Please keep the convective threads/forecasts updated - you don't need to be a moderator to start new threads.

Cheers  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:48:03 am »

Hiya Martin.

Certainly for me regards that thundery weather I was watching the radar on several occassions watching some bright echos, however they always fizzled away just as they were about to 'hit' me.  Apart from a few times when the clouds looked interestingly threatening (and nothing come of it) its all i've had.  Shame really as its just been annoyingly wet and none descript of late here.

The cold weather next week should be interesting with many areas having some wintry precipitation.  I may be wrong, but I think for me in the west midlands it is more likely to be on the wet side rather than the snowy side - or it will snow but just melt as soon as it lands  Tongue  It would be nice to be wrong though and have one more proper, albeit brief, blast of winter - I could cope with a couple of days off work  Wink

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 03:28:30 pm »

Hi Mark, yea it was a hit and miss affair for some over the midlands, others got a spectacular show with frequent lightning and hail, it was a plume event like something one would expect during July, it was rare to get something like that in March. It looks likely there was a tornado over Essex somewhere, CCTV footage has been checked showing two 1 tonne containers moving 50ft across the sky.

It looks very interesting next week, I'm not expecting much snow to lay but i'm sure glenshane will get something so will be checking it out with camera at the ready. There's also plenty of convective potential in the same week for Uk and Ireland with single cell thundery showers a real possibiltiy so it would be awesome to get snow and thunder in the same week lol.

I seen my first funnel of the year a few days ago, it only lasted 30 sec's but was good to see anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 03:50:17 pm »

Met Office weather warnings out for Tues...

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35970&posts=1
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »

Hi Everyone was watching those storms over England. Was talking to relatives over in Cowes, Isle Of Wight  and there neighbours chimney got hit by lightning nobody was in the house at the time
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:22:21 pm »

The advisory that was issued for monday for Wales for heavy rain and snow has been removed...
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 07:37:24 pm »

Weather advisory now extended to cover all of N.Ireland for Tuesday For heavy rain turning to snow. This mainly over higher ground but will be interesting to see if the cold air digs in, some accumulations are possible to low lying areas. Just when I was getting used to the milder temps too!!
  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 09:47:44 pm »

I just read a report of golf ball sized hail stones in N. Scotland today!!!

I spent the day at Portrush and Portstewart, I saw an impressive site before sunset when a really evil looking dark mess of a cell approached the shore from the Ocean, it had an intense hail core and solid slope on it's leading edge with lowerings, I really thought it was going to drop a waterspout at one stage!. There where other cars at the location on the cliff top car park with their occupants watching the convective shower with keen interest. The outflow winds lifted the white frothy sea spray hundreds of feet into the air - way over the cliff top and over Museden Temple (spelt wrong) - that was an impressive height!. Got some images of the shower but it was difficult with the sun in the frame. I watched it until the sun set behind distant updraught towers. Nice halo over Maghera earlier in the day and sun dogs from the northern coast.

GFS has killed the storm potential for NI this week, however the republic and British midlands and southern coastal regions look fair game for thundery showers this week and next weekend. Definitely looks like there will be snow, can't imagine it laying though, however it's far from unusual during March.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 10:47:22 pm »

UKWW weather watched issued...

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35992&posts=1
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 11:59:16 pm »

Thats impressive hail! Was that associated with that gust front in Scotland today?  Was watching it on radar, looked like a nice feature.  That size hail would certainly do some damage in a residential area. Sounds like you had a good day on the north coast Martin, hope the computer gets fixed soon Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 12:13:46 am »

you would want to be doing faiirly well for the snow to stick on ground after all that mild weather
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 01:03:57 am »

Hi Paul, you are absolutely correct, the heavy hail shower I observed today was part of that same system which moved down across Scotland producing the golf ball hail stones. The eastern side of that line was not as intense but it was more impressive than the radar suggested. I could see that line, including the impressive shower I observed, moving towards NI from Scotland, the land was easy to see from the coast. I wish I had took video of it - but I wasn't expecting anything at all today. The radar showed blue echoes but the visual appearance of the core was much more impressive, it created a wake across the ocean surface and you could see well defined silvery line across the sea where the hail and rain was falling. The cell was very strong just as it approached the cliffs, then it decayed once it moved inland - very impressive site. I have a few images of the cell with the low bright sun beside it but they probably aren't all that good, the sea spray was blowing into my lens, once I get the pc sorted I will post them up. I forgot to mention - to the untrained eye - the veritical lines of falling precip below the cloud looked  a little like a waterspout, there was even enhanced spray going up from these above the water line like a 'debris' bowl. I don't have an image of that though. There where 3 or 4 cars in the same area watching that cloud as if expecting something to happen.

Padraig, I'm with you. I don't expect any snow to lay and I'm more interested in the convective potential this week, thundery hail or even snow showers look a possibility. Having said that, I enjoy what Mother nature throws at us so I will be doing my best to enjoy the snow if it actually does happen. Make sure to take plenty of snaps to document everything  Smiley

* woops, just realised you weren't addressing the hail shower I seen Paul - yea that big hail from Scotland was probably associated with that occluded front moving across Scotland with that gust front reported on the UKWW.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:06:27 am by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 02:20:16 am »

lol that report from your sighting was alot more interesting anyway Martin, an interesting point you brought up about the radar, I have found some "un-named" radar sites are not entirely accurate with the intensity of precipitation. I was looking for something more accurate and up to date and came across the Netweather radar subscription-any thoughts or experience with this application?  It updates every 5 mins which would be very useful for storms/possible chases. Sorry this is probably a bit off topic.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 02:59:23 pm »

Hi Paul, I use the Met Office radar, it's ok for most of the time for storms, also check out Met O Blue radar, it's free and high res, Paul Knightly from Torro put me onto it. Will post the link soon. Netweather radar is supposed to be great but I don't fancy paying for it lol.

Latest Met Office warning for Tues...

This is an update to the early warning issued on Sunday 28 March.

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting parts of northeast England, southern and central Scotland and all of Northern Ireland on Tuesday.

Rain will increasingly turn to snow over high ground, where further accumulations of over 30cm are possible, Blizzard conditions are expected at times in the strong to gale force winds. Some moderate accumulations of snow at low levels are also likely in places.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 03:48:27 pm »

Here's the link Paul

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/nc/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html?tx_mgbetterradar_pi1[focusCity]=Newquay;-5.07477;50.41067

You can zoom in and out of any region.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum