Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 03:15:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Walk by the Severn

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Walk by the Severn  (Read 374 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »

Last Wednesday I took a long walk alongside the river Severn-the light was poor because of the grey overcast sky,I'm really looking forward to sunny days but this is what I came across. The swans were on the river and then about 4 or 5 took off and flew about half a mile away and returned   and they'd chosen a location where there was a gap in the trees alongside the river and they flew through this gap. You'll notice that the two sheep,one almost hidden beyond the swan ,didn't even look up,maybe they're used to it so I 'll return because this may be a regular spot for the swans. The lamb was in this field too and the Burmese cat was sitting on the tree trunk looking for a vole for breakfast-it was about 8.30am.  I could have done with less ISO for the swan(800) but needed it to get the shutter speed up because of the poor light

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:35:40 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:38:29 pm »

I'm not overjoyed with these,this 100-400 really under performs in poor light, I'm juggling between a wider aperture and higher ISO for shutter speed, except for the lamb
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:00:12 pm »

I love the swans in the first shot, so majestic in flight. I like the very even blended colors of the cat, stump and rushes. I think all the shots are great considering the low light conditions.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:49:07 am »

Nice! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:59:56 am »

Thanks Richard & Mark. The Burmese cat  does blend well with the whole scene,I quite like that one ,it's the low flying swan  that I'm a bit disappointed with.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:53:39 pm »

In my "not being there opinion", I think the fence is just too much of a distraction from the rest of the scene, makes it a little too busy. Without the fence it would have been a very unusual shot in itself. But as you said, you'll probably return and get much better shots that you like the next time. Keep us posted, I love BIF.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »

You've not been helped by those grey blank skies... The swans in the first look good and detailed, but they merge a bit into the cloud..

The second one is a very unusual shot, and works well... although the fence is a little distracting

The lamb is good...

but.. that cat stands out from the rest... a lovely shot, with lovely light on it. Superb details in it.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 05:21:29 pm »

Yes, agreed on all points  I agree the cat is a lovely photo because of the colours. It's still miserable and raining here - whenever are we going to see  a few sunny days, not bits of sunshine now and then  (rhetorical question )I'll post my snowdrops photo.I put it here  along with these but for some reason it was out of focus, maybe I chose the wrong one.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum