Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:22:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)  (Read 22406 times)
Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:02 pm »

Hi Lads,

Martin saw the comet to last night for a little while. I have to agree with you the sky was fabulous So dark and transparency was excellent  the best I've seen in ages. Still no luck imaging Lulin  due to clouds but I'll try again tonight.

Carl.
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:50 pm »

Hi Carl, I'm glad you confirmed the quality of that black sky last night. Good luck tonight for round 2, I think we may catch this comet in the gaps. Good luck to you.  Smiley

This is the only image I got last night before the gap closed. It shows how black and clean the night sky was. Those clouds on the image are racing in from the W (R). Lulin can barely be seen so I marked it on this 28mm wide angle shot. The comet looks smaller and more compact that usual because it's near a bright field star. Not a great image by an means but it was all I could get under the conditions.

Report Spam   Logged

Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2009, 12:49:45 pm »

Hi Martin,

Very Nice capture I could not get over the amount of stars in the sky last night. It would be great  to get one Moonless cloudless free night in this country for a change. Cry

Carl.
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2009, 08:29:32 pm »

Hey John, 29 Amphitrite appears in my shot too! I had no idea it was there!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2009, 09:47:50 pm »

Have scanned my sketches today...

Feb.17/18
telescope at 35x

binocular view

Feb.19/20
telescope at 35x

I will upload my observations tonight (here).
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2009, 11:08:36 pm »

Good job Roman. I like the way you showed the comet's motion on the sketch.

Got another look at Lulin tonight in the regular clear gaps. It just about shares the 10x50mm bino field with Saturn. Looking good.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2009, 11:58:26 pm »

Got another look at Lulin tonight in the regular clear gaps. It just about shares the 10x50mm bino field with Saturn. Looking good.
Lucky you.  I have an overcast sky again - and possibly for all next week...  Sad
I somehow missed your image of comet & Amphitrite on page #12 - well done!!! Smiley I have found this conjunction in my planetarium software more than a month ago, so Gary Kronk is not the first one.  Grin But I thought there is not much interest in it - the closest conjunction occured in the daytime here, and the 10mag is not reachable with my camera
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:01:21 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2009, 12:06:11 am »

Just climbing out of the clouds and LP tonight, here's Lulin with a very visible tail racing towards Saturn...

Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2009, 12:40:40 am »

Very nice shot Paul certainly a tail there too. Roman - always nice to see sketches. Thanks for posting.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2009, 01:00:41 am »

very nice image paul! what are the specs? if you wouldn't mind  Grin it wasn't tracked was it?

Im going to finally climb out of LP myself on monday or tuesday, depending on which day is clear. then again on friday (this time in an even darker area)
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2009, 07:04:57 am »

Thanks guys. Tyler, no tracking - I have dislocated a vertebra so no carrying mounts up the garden at the moment! It's just camera on tripod - Sony A700, 50mm f1.7 lens, 5 x 10secs f2.5 ISO 1600 stacked in DSS with 5 darks, curves adjusted in DSS and very slight noise reduction in Neat Image.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2009, 09:38:31 am »

I have dislocated a vertebra so no carrying mounts up the garden at the moment!
Yeouch!

Still, I think I'd trade a dislocated vertebra for clear skies - only one night in the last fortnight which was even partially clear, and that had poor transparency.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2009, 01:21:51 pm »

Paul, that's a mighty fine looking image of the comet. Love the pastel quality to the scene and that glorious anti-tail.  Smiley. Sorry to hear about your back, hope it recovers soon.

Roman, I think you might have made a mistake about page 12?, that was John who caught the image of asteroid and comet together - not me unfortunately  Smiley. Keeping secrets from us are?  Grin, If you knew about it months ago you should have said something about it because there are many who would be interested in this sort of thing and would loved to have had an advanced warning. I bet alot of people have it on their images and don't even know about it yet  Smiley, ah well...there might be a few more encounters yet.

A brief but large gap opened during the early morning hours. Lulin was a vivid naked eye object with large green coma and condensation. Easily mag +5.0 but again, it could brighter that this. Gaps where too short-lived though for a decent look. I have a better feeling about tonight and Tues for a better sky.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2009, 02:17:00 pm »

Check out these three impressive comet Lulin animations below made by comet photographer Gustavo Muler. Click on the link and let it upload and watch the comet, complete with two tails, move rapidly across the back ground stars while satellites zip past. A stunning sight!. The third link is a larger file and shows a violent disturbance in the ion tail due to a recent impact by the solar wind. Congratulations to Gustavo for getting such wonderful animations.

http://astrosurf.com/nazaret/images/cometas/C2007N3/C2007N3-09021-J47.gif

http://astrosurf.com/nazaret/images/cometas/C2007N3/C2007N3-09021-J47a.gif

http://comete.uai.it/comete/C2007N3_090222_anim.gif

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:51:26 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2009, 04:01:09 pm »

Hey John, 29 Amphitrite appears in my shot too! I had no idea it was there!

I see that Paul......well caught!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum