Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 02:41:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)  (Read 22461 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2009, 10:20:29 pm »

Hi Tyler, I seen the image and thought it was a good one. I was also impressed by this image...

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/large_image_popup.php?image_name=James-Champagne-Comet-Lulin_1233856110.jpg

I could imagine you sitting out there in the Sun lol. I can't wait to get doing that again myself!

Good luck with Lulin. I might get to see it tonight also.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2009, 10:35:54 pm »

haha, Martin, that link you sent was the one I meant to post, but as I said earlier I couldn't see. The photo you posted was the one I was refering to with the tail and anti tail very visible, sorry guys. Lol maybe I should have brought sunglasses Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2009, 11:33:17 pm »

... Lulin and zubenelgunubi? I think I spelled that right...
Maybe not... nobody knows  Grin
Just say 'alpha Librae' or 'a Lib' or 'HIP 72603' and everybody will understand you here  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2009, 11:57:49 am »

... Lulin and zubenelgunubi? I think I spelled that right...
Maybe not... nobody knows  Grin
Just say 'alpha Librae' or 'a Lib' or 'HIP 72603' and everybody will understand you here  Wink
Zubenelgenubi Roll Eyes

BTW I don't know the HIP designations ... but I'll give you Flamsteed 8 Librae, GC 19970 for the fainter (northern) component & Flamsteed 9 Librae, GC 19975 for the brighter (southern) component of the double which comprises alpha Librae.

Anyhow the comet was clearly visible near it this morning despite poor observing conditions - lots of drifting cloud preventing any attempt at imaging, plus interference from the Moon which will be a nuisance for the next 10 days (at least). The large elliptical coma is still evident, less condensed than previously, and my 10x50 binoculars showed a couple of degrees of the ion tail. The dust (anti)tail is short & faint.

The comet was also visible in my tiny 4x20 binoculars, though not as clearly as with the 10x50 Swaros. It was hard to see 7th mag stars in the 4x20s, so the comet must have been significantly brighter than that.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2009, 04:14:41 pm »

I observed comet Lulin this morning between 05.40 and 06.10 UT despite the glow from the bright Moon low in the NW. The scope revealed the dust and ion tails including two, and possibly three radial features within the coma which I assumed were jets. The coma was large, soft, and diffuse. It was easy in 10x50mm binos so I had a try at seeing it without optical aid. I stood in the shadow of my house to block the Moon and cupped my hands around my eyes to stop distacting stray light. Over a 20 min period I glimpsed the comet perhaps a a dozen times with the naked eye as a large grey patch of light very close above Alpha Librae. This comet is brighter than thought!

My instincts though, from the view in the scope, tell me that this comet is a dud. It won't get very bright unless there is a fragmentation event/outburst. The tails are extremely faint. We will find out what will happen during the next dark period. Fingers crossed for something unexpected!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:01:53 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2009, 05:07:51 pm »

this comet is a dud. It won't get very bright
Congrats on seeing it without optical aid, which proves it's at least the best comet since Tuttle this time last year.

True, Lulin is already past perihelion, but it's got to get a lot closer to us yet .... and the sky will be moonless at the time of closest approach, when it should be 1 - 1.5 mags brighter than it is now. It's not going to be a great comet, but we're unlikely to see a better one this year.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2009, 05:19:48 pm »

Yeah well done seeing it with the naked eye Martin, that has to be one of the first sightings, from here anyway? I didn't wait up after our 'phone chat as the sky was very hazy and didn't expect I would see it, in any case the moon was so bright it just made the conditions worse.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2009, 06:01:04 pm »

Thanks very much Brian and John. I haven't heard of any other naked eye sightings yet (anywhere) but it certainly was visible...with difficulty. The sighting confirms your observation Brian about it being easily seen in 20mm binos and possibly brighter. The mag estimates must really come down to aperture effect. Looking forward to the 1 to 1.5 increase in mag soon. At least it will be better than Tuttle as you said. Fingers crossed for an outburst. The coma is bright but the tails are currently a sorry sight visually at the moment. Having said that ,I'm sure I glimpsed both of them in the 10x50s. Seen two sats passing near the coma in the scope which was cool. I was quite sure the anti-tail was much longer than others are reporting also. The sky was 100% clear at the time with the trans varying between 7-8/10. Before hand I seen a faint moonbow and a few hail and snow showers. Temp was -4 degrees.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2009, 06:17:00 pm »

Check out this latest image from Michael Jaeger. Look at the background galaxies!
http://spaceweather.com/comets/lulin/05feb09/Michael-JAcger1.jpg
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:25:05 pm by John9929 » Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2009, 07:55:19 pm »

Congratulations Martin. A naked eye observation sounds very encouraging.  Smiley What was the magnitude and NELM?

I haven't heard of any other naked eye sightings yet (anywhere)
Chris Wyatt from Australia reported a naked-eye observation on Feb.03 (this is the first report I have seen)
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CometObs/message/3319
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2009, 09:20:14 pm »

Thanks for the link John, Michael Jager never disappoints when it comes to comet images!

Thanks for that link Roman. The observation is encouraging.

I reckoned the comet had to have been around mag +6.0 or +6.1 as a guesstimate. I don't record limiting mags of the stars because I think it's pointless.  Smiley. ..but at a guess, I would say +6.3 with averted vision in that low area. It was better higher up.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2009, 09:33:16 pm »

..but at a guess, I would say +6.3 with averted vision in that low area. It was better higher up.
You have no light pollution there? and the Moon was up?  Shocked Hmm, I'm a bit wondered to hear that - "despite the glow from the bright Moon low in the NW", "+6.3 with averted vision in that low area" - you have very good sky conditions!

Well, I can't judge on sky conditions now because I have already forgot what does the sky look like...  Sad
3 1/2 weeks with no clear sky and 5 days of 100% overcast - it is already quite disappointing. Today again - rain and fog...

Meanwhile some people have sucess with it.
Photo by Gennadiy Borisov (from S. Ukraine), taken from here

I like the ion tail Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:38:28 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2009, 09:49:33 pm »

Excellent image there!

Page 6 of the SW gallery us updated...

http://www.spaceweather.com/comets/gallery_lulin_page6.htm

Check out the image on the homepage. Some great images arriving in now.

Roman, when the Moon is low the sky is not so badly effected, the Moon is opposite the comet also. With good dark adaption, patience, breathing excercises, and by shielding any local lights you can see to a very good depth. This gets easier with practise. The sky tran was pretty good but no brilliant. On an excellent night here I can see M81 without optical aid, and that's with scattered light pollution. Hope this answers your question.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2009, 02:14:36 am »

..but at a guess, I would say +6.3 with averted vision in that low area. It was better higher up.
You have no light pollution there? and the Moon was up?   Shocked Hmm, I'm a bit wondered to hear that - "despite the glow from the bright Moon low in the NW", "+6.3 with averted vision in that low area" - you have very good sky conditions!
Yup ... at 15 degrees altitude to the South or South East my NELM would be around 4. 6 overhead would be excellent at my site, and I wouldn't get there with the moon in the sky.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2009, 06:14:25 am »

Haha, Friday night. Im staying up all night (or at least till spot lulin) Finally a night where I don't have to wake up for anything. Hopefully in about 3 hours I will make my second observation.  Shocked

Wish me clear skies
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum