Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:45:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)  (Read 22381 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »

Is it still inside the dawn for you, Martin?
I had hopes for 2 or 3 recents nights but even hadn't taken the scope out - the weather got worse in the morning. I could possibly see it now if only I had clear skies. Instead I have another snowstorm which started today in the afternoon.

A guy from Kansas imaged it yesterday...
Have seen it already on Spaceweather  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 09:06:02 pm »

It sure is Roman. It was actually lower than I thought. I will have to wait until morning twilight to catch it at its highest point before dawn. At least it's getting higher each night. Stormy weather here until Sunday then cold again and possibly stormy again. There should be cold air returning after this so we will hopefully get a good clear sky. I hope the weather is good for everyone else on here.

Tyler, many thanks for the link. That's a good image. Lulin looks quite bright, I wonder if it's being underestimated by observers?. That recent visual obsv and sketch looks encouraging!. That's a good finder chart you have on your site!

Here's a few of the latest images and sketchs on Lulin from over the world.

Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 09:31:04 pm »

Jeremy perez (the guy that made that sketch) estimated the magnitude to be 6. so idk what to expect. Im trying very morning to spot it, just no clear dry mornings yet. hopefully soon though.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2009, 09:58:48 am »

Jeremy perez (the guy that made that sketch)
That sketch is looking better to me than some photos. Fantastic sketching!
Thanks for uploading all that images, Martin  Smiley

I don't know why does it happens to me. The forecast for last night was very good, but it was cloudy till morning, cleared only after sunrise. And now it's completely clear  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 10:51:15 am »

I don't know why does it happens to me. The forecast for last night was very good, but it was cloudy till morning, cleared only after sunrise.
Don't let it worry you, it happens to all of us!
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 05:06:06 pm »

Roman, I have had clear skies during the day and early evening, but clouded over every night for the last 8 nights! every morning I have waken up early I have been greeted with terrible conditions Sad
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »

Same here. Last night was clear, I set the alarm for 05.30...and I never heard it so I slept through!. Clear again tonight so I will try again. Good luck all.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2009, 09:27:45 pm »

Lol Martin! I have the same problem, I sleep through my alarms all the time. Like this morning I woke up to snowplows, and people shoveling kept me awake til 6 then I went back to sleep and slept through all my alarms. I usually have to set 3 to 4 to be able to hear one. lol it sucks
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2009, 10:25:07 pm »

I usually have to set 3 to 4 to be able to hear one.
I've heard my grandad had three, timed at 1 minute intervals - the first at the bedside, the second at the far side of the room and the third at the bottom of the stairs.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2009, 11:02:45 pm »

That is not only your problem, Martin  Grin

I usually have to set 3 to 4 to be able to hear one.
I've heard my grandad had three, timed at 1 minute intervals - the first at the bedside, the second at the far side of the room and the third at the bottom of the stairs.
I am the same  Grin
Usually I set 2 alarms - first quiet, second loud 3-5 minutes later. But recently I had some troubles (when woke up at 10AM instead of late night session) so when the observation is important I use a horrible alarm of my mobile phone  Angry - I think it can wake up even the dead people lol 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:32:55 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2009, 11:13:46 pm »

LOl....they need to make these alarm clocks louder!

This is actually the first time this as happened to me in a long time because I was exceptionally tired. Normally I would wake up before the alarm because of my internal body clock. If this doesn't work the alarm does the job. I use my mobile phone alarm and it seems to do the job although there are a few occasions when I feel like throwing it at the wall  Grin.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 08:02:46 pm »

Out again last night looking for the comet between 05.30 and 06.00. Clear spells but fast moving cu from the S where constantly crossing the horizon and illuminated intense white by the Moon. Could see parts of Ophiuchus and Libra but not where the comet was. Swept the area with the 10x50's without success. I have a feeling I might catch it on the night of the storm though.

Good luck all.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:59 pm »

Yes, the weather was deteriorating towards dawn .... I actually packed up about 0615 as it was obvious that conditions weren't going to improve. Much worse tonight, an "unexpected" patch of clear sky appeared around 1715 but it was gone by 1830, that looks like it for the night if the forecast & the Met Office satellite images are anything to go by.

I have a feeling I might catch it on the night of the storm though.
If the storm doesn't get you ....
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 09:43:11 pm »

Yes, the weather was deteriorating towards dawn .... I actually packed up about 0615 as it was obvious that conditions weren't going to improve.
I have much better conditions now - I can easily go to sleep until morning ...Wednesday.  Grin Maybe the weather here is not stormy but it is much of rain/snow/etc. here since yesterday and it will stay for at least a few days (or possibly more than a week). Only the web helps me not to forgot about astronomy...  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2009, 09:54:04 am »

that looks like it for the night if the forecast & the Met Office satellite images are anything to go by.
Checked outside at 2115 & discovered sky partly clear, it stayed that way for about an hour but with poor transparency (high cloud) & the variable star observer's bane, thin partially transparent low cloud blowing in the breeze making observations difficult. Nevertheless managed to make a few estimates with binoculars, didn't bother with scope as it didn't look as though it would last as long as it did! Set alarm for 0500 but sky was completely solid at that time - completely clear at 0745 so there amy have been a "Lulin slot" for someone west of me.

Still fairly clear as I write (0950) but signs of increasing high cloud & the wind seems to be picking up ahead of the threatened major storm.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum