Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 04:20:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)  (Read 22412 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 07:23:14 pm »

Well, I have nothing to say.  Sad It is already visible in nautical twillight to me but the forecast for the next week is cloudy & snow.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 01:11:33 am »

Here's another wide chart of Lulin's position between Jan and March.

I have been corresponding with Alan Hale and he informs me that he had recently observed Lulin and said it was looking good. He also mentioned that he had high hopes for its performance in feb.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 12:35:58 pm »

From cometsml...

The next magnitude estimates for a comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin) have appeared. Lulin seems to be a young and active comet. Recent brightness estimates are much lower than predicted. We think, this phenomenon is transient (comet is still too close to the Sun). According to recent magnitude estimates, comet C/2007 N3 should reach 3th-4th mag in February. We think, a visual tail should occur. My light curve here:

http://www.astronomy.ru/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30916.0;attach=160937;image

Regards,
Artyom Novichonok
Dmitry Chestnov
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 12:42:38 pm »

It must be a nice show in Feb  Smiley  Roll Eyes

Right now I have a personal dilemma with the comet. On the first week of January there are high chances of good weather, but with minimal temperatures -15...-25C. And I'm a bit sick by the way. Going outside early morning in severe frosts is only at my own risk...  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »

I have been setting my alarm for 06.00 every morning for some time now to be greeted by cloud so I haven't even got a chance to even try for the comet. However, a new year and new luck...let's catch this comet!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 08:44:20 pm »

looking forward to feb Martin by the sound of things it should put on a good show it has been some time since a nice comet.

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 04:13:21 am »

Wow im getting excited about this comet! Im going to try and spot it tommorow morning, or the following morning (right now we have clouds) I havent busted out the scope for a while. I hope this will rival Comet 17p/Holmes last October, this time I have my new camera. And now I have a good reason to build a barndoor tracker - anyone have any good links to build one of these?

I was just thinking back to holmes (the first comet I ever saw) and When I went to a super dark sky location, and it was the most magnificent thing I have ever seen, a huge glowing haze - wow do I wish I had my good camera back then! what an expirence, definately was the spark for my interest.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:16:45 am by Tyler » Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 11:26:28 am »

I was outside this morning observing meteors and waiting for comet Lulin which rise enough high at 5:45. But after 5:15 the whole sky got covered with cirrostratus, and areas below 15o altitude were excessively hazy even before that. I didn't see Scorpion and barely saw bright stars in Libra. So assumed that there are no chances to see comets and went home earlier  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 10:15:17 pm »

I'm going to try for it tonight if this clear sky will hold out that long. I'm looking forward to Lulin too Tyler, I doubt it will match the beauty of Holmes but you never know. I'm hearing contradictory reports about it's peak brightness. Today, based on it's current brightness the peak will be at mag +5. Others are going for +4.5 and the more optimistic group between +3.5 and +4.0. Wouldn't it be great if it had a large outburst!

Do you recall comet Machholz near M45 in 2004? that was a very nice comet with a similar peak mag to what Lulin might reach. If it even came close to the apperance of that comet we would be in for a nice treat. I will never forget seeing the two tails of Machholz with the naked eye even with the Moon in the sky. Vivid blue gas tail 5 degrees long and a dust tail at a right angle to the gas...lovely!

I really miss Holmes, Perseus has never looked the same since. I have my fingers crossed that a really bright comet will arrive suddenly in the near future!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 10:25:18 pm »

Do you recall comet Machholz near M45 in 2004? that was a very nice comet with a similar peak mag to what Lulin might reach. If it even came close to the apperance of that comet we would be in for a nice treat.
Indeed. I think that was the last comet easily visible with the naked eye except for Holmes - Tuttle was just about a naked eye object at about this time last year but was never spectacular.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 12:02:22 am »

and here is that nice comet...

http://www.tboeckel.de/EFSF/efsf_ps/machholz/8_1/pass_net_1.jpg
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 06:44:12 pm »

The following information was supplied by Michael Mattiazzo...

''I wonder if anyone else has noticed that we are observing comet C/2007 N3 Lulin "edge-on". With incredible fortune, the orbital inclination of the comet is 178 degrees. i.e. virtually in the same orbital plane as the Earth.
This means from Earth's perspective, we will observe the comet edge-on throughout the apparition! The effect of this is to enhance the surface brightness of the comet and its dust tail. Take the deep sky example of an edge-on galaxy being more readily observable than one that is face-on.

Recently posted images are displaying the sharp sunward pointing dust tail (anti tail) in PA 100, along with the ion tail at PA 280. The dust tail should remain at approximately PA 100 to 110 and appear as a sharply defined "needle-like" appendage. Since most of the dust particles are released in the comets wake, the dust tail will rapidly lengthen after Lulin's flyby of the Earth on Feb 24, length uncertain but perhaps a few degrees long. The ion tail however will appear considerably shortened, since it will be pointing directly away from the Sun when the comet is located at opposition on Feb 26. Looking forward to observing this unusual comet''.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 07:17:12 pm »

Thanks for the info Martin. Wow, I'm eager to see this comet   Roll Eyes

I don't plan to observe tonight, but if the forecast is true, the next night (Jan.6/7) will be completely clear in Poltava. I haven't seen such great forecast since November  Shocked  Smiley

P.S. I already have a nice list of planned observations on the Christmas (orthodox) day:
Lunar occultation of HIP13892 at 02:27EET
Comet C/2007 N3 at 6h
(still there...) evening planets at 16-17h
Comet 144P
Lunar occultation of Pleiades at 18:50-20:30
Smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:25:27 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 10:35:54 pm »

The best of luck with your comet hunting Roman. It is still clear here so if this holds out I will get out before dawn. I can't see that low from my home so I will have to carry the tripod and my 90mm ETX out the road to catch Lulin. I'm eager to see this anti-tail now. The last time I seen a stunning sunward spike on a comet was with F4 Bradfield, it was only visible for a few mornings before the Earth-Sun-Comet angle changed. I was lucky to get it clear and saw it twice, many others never seen it so I was very lucky. It was stunning.

John 9929 just remined me about the Moon-pleiades occultation today. Fancy starting a new thread for that anyone? It takes place on Wed. It's important info...
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:12 pm »

Here's the updated skyhound finder chart for Lulin...

http://www.skyhound.com/cometchasing/comets/2007_N3.gif
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum