Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 03:40:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Comet C/2007 N3 (Lulin)  (Read 22383 times)
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2009, 03:36:50 am »

Many congratulations Jonathan. The greatest joy is probably in getting that first successful image, methinks!
Tonight's sky here in Oxford has to be the best of the year so far! No cloud or mist to speak of and no wind to ruin any images. I spent much time looking at Lulin tonight. The sky transparency was far better than it was the last time that I saw the comet - so if anything, Lulin looked slightly brighter tonight. I could also see a sign of the (anti?) tail and there was a slight hint of green to it as well after I was well dark adapted (well as dark adapted as you can get from the edge of a city)!

I did take a few shots but ditched them due to trailing caused by poor balance after Lulin had crossed the meridian. No matter, I'm sure there'll be enough pictures posted tomorrow.

Just been looking at M13 through my binoculars (Tasco 10x50). My main tripod is tied up with my AstroTrac so I am going to get a secondary one for the binos, as I am spending far more time observing these days, albeit with binoculars - and a steady tripod will enhance the view. Good to see Hercules so high up with Vega & Deneb following...................

..................A reminder that spring and summer is not all that far away now.  Smiley

OK - kettle boiled - so back out!....................
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2009, 05:14:08 am »

Nice image Johnathan  Smiley I can easily spot the comet and Leo looks nice.

Andy, Glad to hear you had (and still having) a nice observing session, and that you are doing it more often. I have also been bringing out the scope more often and use the binoculars more than ever. I am very excited about the summer and getting out in some warm tempertures! This comet really boosted my interest  Roll Eyes I'll definitely be going to dark skies more often in the summer, when I only have to worry about the clouds, not the temps  Cheesy

Im clouded out tonight though.......winter sucks...
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2009, 05:42:00 am »

Cheers for the encouragement Tyler. I'm just taking some dark frames as the sky is getting lighter. Also ordered a new tripod for usage with my binoculars. The forecast I saw after this month's Sky at Night also sucks for most of the UK - so I thought I'd better make the most of tonight.

I see this month's calendar has now been posted so as I don't feel in the least tired, might as well make a start on that!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2009, 04:56:29 pm »

Still having winter there, Tyler?  Wink
Here the winter doesn't want to give up. The sky stays bad enough and the snow is on the ground (5cm). I'm hoping now for one or two clear nights on Wed-Thu and finally - the spring in a week or two later.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2009, 05:03:08 pm »

Well caught Jonathan
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2009, 05:17:41 pm »

Still having winter there, Tyler?  Wink
Here the winter doesn't want to give up. The sky stays bad enough and the snow is on the ground (5cm). I'm hoping now for one or two clear nights on Wed-Thu and finally - the spring in a week or two later.  Roll Eyes

haha yeah Roman, right now we still have about 9cm of snow on the ground, but that should be gone by friday with 60F temps. spring is only 19 days to go! things look better for the central plains this spring too, due to a drought in the southern plains, this could spell early chase days up here Smiley to early to know for sure though.

good luck to everyone tonight! even though the moon will interfere.
Report Spam   Logged

Keith g

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2009, 08:12:02 pm »

Hey Folks, I got home from a wedding at about 2am last night to find the skies clearing very nicely, so I decidied to stay up a little longer to catch Comet Lulin from 2.30-3am thrugh the camera lens. I had found it about 5 degrees west of Leo's brightest star Regulus, but I had found that even with dark skies, it was hard to see with the naked eye, maybe it's fading a lot already? Through my 9x60mm binoculars, I estimate the comet still near magnitude 5 visually, with again a slight hint of a 'tail' stretching east for about one quarter of a degree.

This shot I got is a stack of five 30 second exposures at f3.5 using a Canon 40D and a 200mm 'L' lens, tracked on board an 8" SCT. I had to use a high ISO of 1600 to bring out some detail in the tail, I do hope that you do not find it that objectionable. Over the course of a half-hour, I could clearly see the comet move against the background of stars !

P.S. Did any of you see Saturn lately, what a sight last night, It was my first time ever seeing the rings so flat, so strange - go and look !

www.flickr.com/photos/79652716@N00/3319903870/sizes/l/

Keith..
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2009, 10:00:11 pm »

Well done Jonathan!!. Lovely wide field capture with Lulin at centre. Glad you had a good session and a good clear night. Keep shooting.

Andy, enjoyed reading your comments, get that brew down and get some more images  Grin, seriously, glad to hear you got a clear sky and are making the most of it before this severe cold front moves in.

Keith, cracker images!. Gorgeous coma and anti-tail. Definitely an image to be proud of and a special one for the collection.

Seen Lulin last night and again this evening. Visible with naked eye very faintly to the E of Messier 44, looks strange to see two hazy patches when one of them shouldn't be there. The comet has well and truly faded and become more diffuse (with naked eye & binos) compared to it's opposition enhancement. I make it at mag +5.3 or so, give or take a bit. For me the comet is a show-off in a telescope. Lovely green coma, blazing white condensation, and green anti-tail filling the FOV. What's even more impressive is its motion!. Haven't taken any images of it recently though.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2009, 10:14:26 pm »

Got this earlier this evening - lots of haze and LP stripped out of it to the deteriment of the anti-tail, but you can see Lulin has well passed regulus and is now on its way to a close enocunter with M44....

Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2009, 10:46:41 pm »

Some very nice images there guys - thanks for sharing.

Paul, I don't think the forecast for the night of the 5th/6th is looking too good at the moment. Plus, as has already been mentioned, moonlight will seriously interfere.  Sad

Martin - re making a brew. I have a folding chair which I often set up on the lawn when using my binoculars. Incorporated in the right arm of the chair is a small net which is designed to hold cups. So, rest assured, I didn't waste too much time.  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 03, 2009, 02:08:28 am »

Here is a crop of a wider shot I got on the 2nd March at 02:12UT. I took about 30 images in the hope of getting something of the tail, but this is the only one I've had the chance to look at. If memory serves me right I think it was 48 seconds. Maybe a touch on the green side but this has held the tail.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: March 03, 2009, 03:13:56 am »

Nice looking shots Paul and John Smiley

I hope we clear out soon. Havent had a clear night for weeks, I attempted to view the comet tonight, but (again) a thin layer of clouds dimmed even M44 down to being barely visible in binoculars! I hope its clear thursday night  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: March 03, 2009, 01:39:33 pm »

I will second what Tyler said, very nice images Paul and John. Very good looking anti-tail on your crop John, you wouldn't think it was a crop either, the detail holds up very well  Smiley

I heard someone estimating Lulin at mag +6.0, I don't think it's that faint but it's not far off it.

Tyler, you are getting some bad cloudy weather lately. I hope your luck changes for the better very soon. The Moon will be a problem for now on though but that shouldn't mess with the telescopic view at all!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: March 04, 2009, 02:33:27 pm »

Finally the cloud cover has got broken today, maybe there will be a bit of sky this evening, but the forecast tells me that next night (Thu/Fri) must be even better - possibly clear between 22-4 hours.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Tyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2009, 05:59:55 pm »

Well I got a little lucky last night and had a completely clear sky about 4 hours after sunset. I went outside and looked up near M44 for Lulin,  I couldn't fiind it with the binoculars, but when I brought the scope out I found it within 5 minutes. It was much more dim than I expected, it was more tough to find than 6 mag stars, so I'd estimate it to be +6.5 or so. I'm not sure how you guys measure with arc minutes and such, but on the 24th the comet filled the whole FOV in my eyepiece which is 1 degree I think, but tonight was barely detectable with 1/3 the size of my previous observation.

Could someone explain arc minutes? its 1/60th of a degree right? I don't know, sorry guys Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum