Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 04:10:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Saturn - 05 Mar (infra red)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturn - 05 Mar (infra red)  (Read 174 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:22 pm »

Tried to use my 2x Powermate on Saturn last night but was only able to get a good image with an infra-red pass filter. The issue was that seeing wasn't steady enough to allow the long exposures necessary for this faint planet.

2010 March 05, 0017 UT. Celestron CPC1100, 2x Powermate (f/20), Astronomik Planet Pro 742 infra-red pass filter, Imaging Source DMK21 camera. Transparency fair, seeing moderate to poor.

6000 frames were shot & the best 1000 stacked. This is far more than I usually do, nevertheless there is substantial amount of image noise. The indivisual frames were badly underexposed despite an exposure time of 1/9 sec with the gain dragged right up to the top.

There is a slight assymetry visible at the ends of the rings which I believe is due to altaz mount image rotation during the several minutes required to shoot the movie.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:47:28 pm »

Very nice image Brian!  Cloudy for me tonight (so i'm off to the pub!), looking like cloudy tomorrow till late in the afternoon, however a clear night is predicted on saturday so gonna have a go at some solar system myself - poss with the C8, if seeing is pap then the ETX90.  Sunday daytime is looking promising for the solar though...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum