Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 16, 2024, 06:16:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

ISS Animation

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ISS Animation  (Read 322 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:34:15 am »

Being under the spell of the lurgy I've spent a bit of time processing some old stuff that I've not had time to do before.

Of my various attempts at capturing images of the ISS by different means, this one involved a hand-guided 80mm ED refractor with a webcam attached. Many frames were caught and I cropped 12 of these down to a uniform size and created this animation. I'd like to have a go with a barlow added to the camera to increase the image scale, but this is a start.....

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:15:25 pm »

Hi Paul,

Very good when you consider how hard it is even to get the ISS even on a webcam chip.Try this programme http://www.webtreatz.com/index.php/tutorials/35-equipment/53-satellite-tracker it completely controls the mount and tracks the ISS.

You will have great fun looking and Imaging the ISS. You will also need a USB hand controller for making small adjustments. Also have your finder scope lined up with perfectly with eyepiece / webcam. The hand controller takes getting use two, up is down, and down is up. Press the right button to go left and left button to move right you get the drift.

One thing to remember your mount will do an auto equatorial flip don't make the mistake I did my eye was sore for a few days afterwards
 Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:19:25 am »

Thanks Carl, I'll have a look at that - certainly an interesting approach to the problem of keeping track of an object moving at 17500mph!

Incidentally, I see the webtreatz site has had a makeover - looking really good!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »

Nicely done Paul, very impressive animation, keep it up!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:02:53 pm »

Very good Paul!   Cool 

I'd be interested to see how your ISS imaging develops Wink
Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:30:22 am »

Very good Paul. I tried that Sat tracker program... it worked perfectly.. except... I'd got something wrong in my setup and the scope was a few degrees behind across the entire pass and nothing I could do would bring it back inline.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:14:04 am »

I'd got something wrong in my setup and the scope was a few degrees behind across the entire pass and nothing I could do would bring it back inline.
Or the orbit has changed. The ISS is often boosted when the Shuttle is attached, perhaps the information database was not yet updated.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum