Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:22:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mars - 10 Feb

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mars - 10 Feb  (Read 259 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:56:15 pm »

A beautiful evening yesterday - clear, transparent, calm, seeing good (by local standards), very little dew - the temperature got well below freezing but it was really comfortable. Started imaging fairly early whilst there was still some interference from local heat plumes, using a 2x Powermate with my CPC1100 to get a focal length of 5.6 metres (f/20). Here's the result of this early session:

2010 Feb 10, 2152 UT. CPC1100, 2x Powermate, Astronomik type 2c colour seperation & Planet Pro 742 filters, DMK21. Transparency excellent, seeing fairly good with almost constant but small amplitude boiling motions (about 6/10). Temp -4C, wind calm.

Top row: RGB composite; LRGB composite using red channel as luminance; LRGB composite using IR channel as luminance; simulation (Starry Night Pro).

Bottom row: IR, red, green & blue channel images. Best 500 from 3000 frame AVI stacked for each channel. All channels upscaled 56%.

I was intending to make more series at higher magnification later in the night, but unfortunately a light breeze set in, and as this was from the sea, the temperature variations were large and the seeing became impossibly wobbly. :bawling: Still my best Mars this opposition, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »

Remarkable images, the detail is breathtaking in comparison to the simulation, you are even picking up the Martian weather with you setup  Smiley. The composite image is my favourite. Impressive nights work and a testiment to the high quality of sky last night. I fully agree with you, only it was -5C last night inland with a severe frost. Congrats on getting your best Mars images to date!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:29:29 am »

Excellent stuff Brian!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O Beirnes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »

Hi Brian,

That is top class imaging. The color balance is great the 3rd image is outstanding as is the detail, color and focus.
Well done mate

Carl
Report Spam   Logged

Carl O'Beirnes,
Balbriggan Observatory (MPC#J09)
Co Dublin,
Ireland
http://www.webtreatz.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum