Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 02:14:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Interesting sky

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting sky  (Read 254 times)
scott86

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:16:20 pm »

Hi folks, it was quite bright down in lisburn earlier then it got a bit overcast, had a look outside and seem some pretty interesting cloud formations, anyways took a few quick snaps to see what yous thought?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:22:05 pm »

That's quite an expansive mammatus cloud formation there Scott. I love the texture and contrast, especially in # 3. Great images!
Report Spam   Logged
scott86

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:30:37 pm »

Cheers, i thought thats what they were, just wasnt a 100% sure with there not being any significant weather forecast, not a breath of wind and the sky behind me was completely clear.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 03:43:15 pm »

Great to see weather images again Scott, these have been a treat. I would agree with Richard, they look to be mammatus, there has been some convection around here today in the form of small updraught towers but nothing serious. Mamma can sometimes form on sections of stratocumulus (and other species) so a CB anvil is not needed to get them.

Note the height of the Sun these days, it's beginning to heat the ground slightly and affecting that clouds during the afternoon despite only being Feb. We should have good convection again by March or April.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum