Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 12:57:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Approaching Gust front With Big Shelf Cloud & T-Storm!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Approaching Gust front With Big Shelf Cloud & T-Storm!  (Read 380 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2008, 10:42:22 pm »

I was bored this evening and spent some time looking over recent storm images I took and realized that I haven't posted these on the forum. This was from Aug 11th when a huge gust front with the best shelf cloud I have ever seen formed over the Sperrin Mountains and crawled towards me. It produced torrential rain, intense flooding of the Coleraine Road, and a good thunderstorm straight above me which forced me to take cover. C-Gs where hitting down at regular intervals. The shelf took up the S to N sky so it was an absolute brute. The best gust front I have seen from here to date. Video at the end. My camera stopped working after this due to the severity of the conds and my mobile hasn't worked since!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »

What a great shots! #2 is outstanding!  Smiley Impressive gust front, I don't remember when I have seen something alike.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:19:21 pm »

Thanks Roman. Glad you liked those. I was quite scared for a while when it passed over me. The same gust front continued moving east for many miles until it arrived in Maghaberry, John sent me over this image taken from his home of the same beast. It had stopped firing out lightning by that stage but had formed a very threatening shape low to the ground. He told me he never seen anything like it from there in 25 years.

The Aug 11th gust front was the best I have seen to date. Gust fronts/shelf clouds mark the leading edge of a storm due to cool air blown down and ahead of the storm in the form of wind and rain/hail/snow. In some cases they can damage trees and properity. You don't need a t-storm to see them though, big organized convective showers can produce them to. They comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes...

This one was enormous and produced a snow and hail storm. Pity I seen it from the side and not from the front.

Keep your camera handy when there's a convective outlook issued for your area and you will catch one
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:59:02 pm »

Keep your camera handy when there's a convective outlook issued for your area and you will catch one
It's more possible to have one in winter, but October & November can also bring me a stormy weather.

You have a great collection of storms photo  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum