Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 04:02:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Few Bolts From Slieve Gallion Last year

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Few Bolts From Slieve Gallion Last year  (Read 831 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2008, 06:19:01 pm »

I was messing around with 'imagegrab' software and decided to try it out on some video fooatge I took during a storm chase on July 16th 2007 from the very top of Slieve Gallion Mountain. Managed to grab this big c-g from the retreating storm and another showing three c-gs in a group.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 06:27:28 pm »

Great grabs Martin!!!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 06:35:36 pm »

Martin I remember pulling the still frames out that video when you put it on Youtube but those are way better taken from the original!

P.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:32:37 pm »

Thanks very much for the comments Steven and Paul. I remember that very well Paul, I didn't know how to manage the original file at the time but I sent over the youtube version and you extracted that c-g for me which was great!. I thought you would recognise that one  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »

Great images, Martin.  Smiley Is that a rain curtain to the left and to the right of the lightning?
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:22:02 pm »

Thanks Roman. Yes, it was a curtain of intense rain and hail stones. The c-gs where within the curtain.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:55:59 pm »

Yes, it was a curtain of intense rain and hail stones.
It looks amazing. I'll never forget that morning (2007 Apr.21) when I got trapped in one like that on your photo. Had no camera with me then, but I remember a lot of details even now. I don't remember, have I told about it before or not. I think I need to share my impressions.

Morning of 2007 Apr. 21 in Poltava. +8C and clear. At near 9AM I caught a bus and went 10km away west from Poltava. While approaching to Abazivka village (where my family's cottege is situated), I saw a large amount of clouds heading from west.
Then, at near 9:30 AM I was walking along the country road, and ... there it begun.
 Shocked A powerful wind gust, and a shower started suddenly. Within next minute or two the spring suddently turned into winter. Very intense hail started, becoming even more intense within next 10min. Ground was white (so much hail falled). Next an intense hail changed by a moderate-power sleet, which changed into a wet snow very soon. Temperature dropped to 0C. In a few hours later the wet snow changed by a rain and stopped. And in the afternoon the temp. rised to +10C and even some clearances in the sky arrived.
It was a wonder because the winter ended on Mar.01 that year. And there is a snow in a middle of spring! Another wet snow&sleet arrived on May.01-02, but without any storms, and minimal temperature reached +1C, very cold for May. It was very unstable weather in 2007 spring.
2008 spring was much more stable and usual.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:00:04 pm by Roman White » Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 10:14:34 pm »

And there is a snow in a middle of spring!
It happens ... I can remember the day I lfinished university - June 5th 1975 - there was snow on the ground at Coleraine, and still some unmelted on the roadside at lunchtime. It's unusual enough in the middle of winter! On this particular occasion there was a strong North wind bringing in arctic air carrying wintry showers.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 11:29:20 pm »

Thanks for sharing the weather reports Roman and Brian. - June! - that's very strange  Shocked

I checked through my observing log book and found an interesting entry from many years ago. Apparently it snowed over my area during May!. I have never seen that before. Hail on the other hand can appear at anytime of the year associated with convective showers and thunderstorms. Any cell with a strong updraught can produce hail. The biggest hail I have seen from my location happened this year during late April from a brief t-storm. The hail was like big marbles and made an incredible sound when they hit the roof of the house. It turned the ground white and lasted for 20 mins. Here's the cell/storm which caused it.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:16:48 am »

(...) June 5th 1975 - there was snow on the ground (...)
Shocked I would run away to Africa if I will see snow in summer (Jun-Aug)!  Grin

Martin, great photo. Smiley What was the hail size on that day?
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 03:04:58 pm »

Thanks Roman. That t-storm produced marble sized hail mixed with frozen pea size. Quite substantial for Ireland. In other countries base ball sized hail destroys crops and kills animals and humans. American, parts of Europe, and Australia.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum