Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 08:58:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Solar Activity 29 Jan

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar Activity 29 Jan  (Read 166 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »

Not a good day - strong northerly wind bringing lots of cloud & occasional wintry showers. However I did get a couple of short "windows" in which I was able to observe the Sun.

The CaK full disk shot shows that AR1042 has rotated out of sight and AR1041 has an appearance characteristic of dying activity. There is no other significant activity on the disc.

2010 Jan 29, 1225 UT. PST CaK prime focus (f/10), DMK41.

In white light, just one small spot was visible in by 80mm refractor (using Baader solar film & solar continuum filter). I didn't bother attempting to image it.

AR1041 was imaged in close up in hydrogen alpha:

2010 Jan 29, 1235 UT. Solarscope 60 @ f/16, DMK21.

and in calcium K:

2010 Jan 29, 1334 UT. Lunt CaK B1200, 60mm @ f/16.7, DMK21.

There were lots of prominences but none were particularly notable. I did manage to capture this group on the south west limb ...

2010 Jan 29, 1238 UT. Solarscope 60 @ f/16, DMK21.

... but the cloud moved in & prevented me from imaging the other groups of prominences, some of which were more notable than this one.

Transparency good (between showers) but with occasional drifting cloud. Seeing moderate, poor near clouds. Temperature +4C, wind N, force 5-6, gusting 7-8 near showers.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »

Very nice images despite the decaying solar activity and the peek-a-bo battle with the clouds and showers. Love the disk shot and the detailed faculae. I'm sure the wait won't be a long one for the next good sunspot group.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum