Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:06:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Autumn is coming

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn is coming  (Read 650 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:46 pm »

I just recall someone has said here that very soon we'll see the Orion in our skies, and it will be a first sign of autumn.

Here is Orion rising above the Black Sea (it is really black at night!  Smiley ) - first sign of astronomic autumn.
(from the seashore in Feodosiya, Aug.10, 04:10 EEST)

Next comes the nature. First yellow leafes in the trees - first sign of photography autumn.

These birds are also watching for autumn to come.

But, no signs of autumn in weather. It is still +30C and clear in Poltava.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:39 pm »

Lovely pics Roman!!!. The hunter is back!!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

no signs of autumn in weather. It is still +30C and clear in Poltava.
Phew ... last night before the cloud thickened it dropped to +7C here, I thought that was quite pleasant though I did put a jersey on!!! More autumnal weather here today, no sun, intermittent light rain, fresh southerly breeze and temp. 13C which is on the cool side for August even up here in the "frozen North".

Castor & Pollux rising above the NE horizon, that's more of a sign. Capella higher in the sky than Vega. The Great Bear's tail brushing the Northern horizon. All these are signs that the season is changing.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 05:08:29 pm »

Last night was really bitterly cold here, just like the two nights before. I could easily feel the bite of Winter on it's way. At 03.00 I could see Orion risining out from the horizon murk with the belt stars all in line. It was my first sighting for months. Will try for an image of it soon. Nights are getting quite long now!
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 05:37:38 pm »

Yeap, the weather in Europe is very different now. It is very hot in SE Europe, +37C is forecasted for Sunday in Poltava, while it will be not more than +34C in Spain.

Don't frighten me with the "Frozen North".  Wink I had here +6C at night in early June. (it was really cold because usually it is no colder than +10...+15C in summer).
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Poltava Astronomy Portal
Steveo74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 05:58:55 pm »

Great shots Roman!

Haven't seen the hunter as yet, but I will be watching.... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks,
         Steven..

Visit my Blog http://steviesskyshack.blogspot.com

Visit my Flickr  http://www.flickriver.com/photos/16671294@N07/
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 06:20:31 pm »

Don't frighten me with the "Frozen North".
It's a joke. Strong influence from the Gulf Stream means there's little seasonal difference in average temps, hard frost is rare and frost persisting through the day is almost unknown here on the coast, despite the latitude.
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 05:27:27 pm »

Undecided It will not be a joke when something, even little change, will happen with the Gulf Stream. I'm very curious too find more on this subject because many people say that the climate change may cause the change of the Gulf Stream. How much of truth are in these words? And maybe you have noticed some climate changes in many years?
Report Spam   Logged

Poltava Astronomy Portal
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:28:28 pm »

And maybe you have noticed some climate changes in many years?
Yes - frosts are rarer, invasions of arctic air are rarer, cloud cover has increased especially cirrostratus, autumn starts later & spring starts sooner. There never was a real "winter" here but the last few years we've been getting the first spring flowers starting in mid-December (my benchmark species is Allium triquetum but even lesser celandine, which used to start flowering in mid to late February, is now opening in the first week of February).

If the Gulf Stream does turn off then the winters here will get very harsh.

It's impossible to say that any particular weather event is caused by climate change, but the evidence seems to be pointing to a strengthening of the warming effect of the Gulf Stream up to now. OTOH the average climate over the last couple of hundred thousand years says there should be a sheet of ice about a kilometre thick here....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum