Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:18:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Proposed Surveillance Technique for Police

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed Surveillance Technique for Police  (Read 778 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:22:28 pm »

I had this sent to me .     http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/23/cctv-sky-police-plan-drones?CMP=AFCYAH
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »

Very interesting link John, I recall seeing one of those over here several times in earlier years. Wouldn't mind seeing them again to be honest  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:33 pm »

I didn't realise they were in operation already, we'll be, if not already with CCTV , the most 'watched' people in the world.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:20:07 pm »

we'll be, if not already with CCTV , the most 'watched' people in the world.
We already are. There's no evidence whatsoever that this actually increases security.

This proposed system is a complete waste of money.

What is needed is a few real policemen (and women) on the streets where they can deal, hopefully intelligently, with situations before actual law breaking takes place.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:28:30 pm »

Can't disagree with that, Brian . I can see it being useful for  particular operations  (especially in rural areas) but not general surveillance.  I just wish they'd let the police get on with policing instead of form filling,ticking boxes so the government can have answers when minority groups complain of harassment. Also, they're  taking on more and more of the Community bobbies at a starting salary of £17,000 a year and in some counties here they aren't allowed to work nights.  I can't recall when I last saw  a bobby  on the beat- in cars,yes, but not on the beat talking and intelligence gathering but whose fault is that ? I could go on and on about all this but that will do for now Lol.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:22:39 pm »

Lol..The West Midlands police put one of these 'copter '  surveilklance things up the other day and had to ground it because they didn't have LA authorisation . First time out they caught a car thief by following him around the houses as he fled. It's controlled by an officer on the ground similar to  a remote for            model planes. It has 3 sets of cameras.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »

Lol..The West Midlands police put one of these 'copter '  surveilklance things up the other day and had to ground it because they didn't have LA authorisation
Except it was Merseyside police ... and the authorization required is Civial Aviation Authority, not local government ... As Nelson Muntz would say, "Har har".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8517726.stm

There are perfectly good reasons why flying objects in the vicinity of people, buildings and air traffic lanes should require proper authorization. And ignorance of the law is no excuse, not even for police officers. I don't understand why the Chief Constable of Merseyside Police isn't doing time for allowing a criminal breach of the Air Navigation orders.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:40:33 pm by brianb » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum