Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 12:09:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Grey Wagtail + Redwing

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Wagtail + Redwing  (Read 761 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:49:31 pm »

Managed a couple of photos  as these two were feeding (I think it's a grey wagtail and not a pied wagtail) - the redwing was eating the apple pieces but the light was poor and the ISO high. They're passable  but as they're nice birds to look at I thought I'd post them anyway. It's rare to get the Redwings in the garden, they live in the countryside and eat worms and berries-they're  very common in winter but not in gardens, just shows how they're  struggling. I now grind the peanuts in the food blender so the small birds can eat them.I grate fat balls as those on the feeders are hard now.I put out wholemeal bread and I need to chop the apples more finely-that looks a bit of a struggle for the redwing. They also have mealworm and bird seed,  all in a snow cleared patch on the lawn. We have six blackbirds for most of the day but they  chase each other all over the lawn.Lol

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:13:24 pm »

Given the light (or lack thereof) they've come out very nicely John. Well caught. Had a waggie over the last few days here. Not seen any Redwings
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:40:59 pm »

Those are great shots whatever they turn out to be John. The birds in your neighborhood are lucky to have someome as thoughtful as you in the hard-weather times you're experiencing  to try and help them along!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:45:49 pm »

Thanks John,you're too kind Lol. Hopefully they will return tomorrow and I'll put some food on the snow  as well as the grass to give a much  lighter background and also I'll see if I can take the photos from the dining room ,these were taken from the back bedroom. We've got those  vertical  full length slat blinds so I 'll almost close them and stick the lens between a couple.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:49:42 pm »

Good stuff John, the birds will be glad to see the back of this snow and ice. I have a little robin that comes to the back garden every day when I go out and crush up some fat ball.  I think he is starting to trust me more and more as he now sits about 5 feet away watching me spread out his dinner.  Some of these days im gonna have him eating out of my hand Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:01:14 pm »

You're doing a good job,Paul. My wife has just  brought suet home, some for dumplings for our stew tonight , the rest for the birds,they love it we're told. I assume it's different to the scraped fat balls they have now. The robin may well take it from your hand soon.  I've chopped up apples too and soaked californian seedless raisins, it all goes.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:42 pm »

Thats a great shot John!  We had a redwing in our garden on saturday too.  The mrs managed a shot >>>

I was surprised to see him - normally they reside in the fields in the countryside and only come into the towns and cities when food is scarce.  He was enjoying the berries on our pyrocantha.  Mind you, it's tough times for wildlife right now!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 12:51:06 pm »

Lovely shots John.
I think your wagtail is a Pied Wagtail, the Grey Wagtail is actually yellow in colour (thats ornithologists for ya Grin).
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum