Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 04:44:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Cotswold Village

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Cotswold Village  (Read 909 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »

This is a village called Lower Slaughter. I thought you may like to be lifted out of this cold snowy period and be taken back to the summer. The Cotswolds,here in Gloucestershire , have many villages like this. There are strict building codes for these Cotswold villages and all must blend in so they have to be built of the beige lyme/Cotswold stone. Needless to say they're very expensive,upwards of £300,000 ($500,000 approx.)   It's a  favourite stop ,especially for US visitors in the summer months. There's another  similar village called Upper Slaughter and Slaughter is from the old english word 'slough'  meaning wet land and ,slothre (muddy place). The stream is called the Eye. I took these during the summer. I didn't have Grad filters when I took these and I can see the difference they would have made - I'm a great advocate of graduated filters. I  hope you enjoy these.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:49:11 pm »

Looks like a lovely place John. Been a few times to the cotswolds, but not for a few years now. My fave is #6. I see what you mean about the ND Grads in a couple of them. I've got a 1 and 2 stop ND Grad, but so far they have been used once, and then badly...

This is going to sound really picky... and it may just be my eyes... but in #2 and #3 something seems a little out of kilter... on the left hand side of both... I don't know what it might be, but I'd guess at barrel distortion.... Hope you don't mind John
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

Very picturesque!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »

Very scenic and beautiful images John. There are a lot of areas like this in the Colonial areas of the East Coast of the States, but nothing like this out here in the West. What a shame. Some day, if I live that long, I'd like to visit my ancestors home places in England and Wales, such beauty!!!
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:27:34 pm »

Great images John, I love that Cotswold stone too, very attractive buildings and Church. Would be a nice place to get some shots here at/near sunset if you could get some low light bouncing off those buildings-just an idea.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:58:26 pm »

Thanks- I thought you may like them.

John - I don't mind atall if you see something or  something that might  be improved., I'm all about improving my photography. I've read  about barrel distortion but not quite sure what that its so I've just googled it and seen some examples, a slight 'bending.  It puts it down to cheap wide angle lenses. Number 2 was taken with the Canon  24-105- an L series lens and number 3 with the Canon 10-22mm which has been said to be as good as an L series and should be classed as such so I think we can discount the lenses.   I wonder if they're 'level' ? Brian's well up on the tech. side maybe he'll see this and let us know what he thinks.       
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:00 pm »

John..I think the problem with photo 2 was that it wasn't straight. I adjusted it by 2.59 degrees to get it straight. Is this any better ?  It was taken at 28mm. so not ultra-wide. Whatever is wrong with photo 3 I'm sure isn't barreling  having  now seen examples of barreling.

Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:33:21 am »

I can see how it ended up like that, but yes, that does look better... as small an angle as that.. wow.. I think it's because there are so many verticals and horizontals on the lhs up against the frame edge... Sorry been reading one of my xmas pressies ....  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:10:10 pm »

Ok..lol..We'll settle for a wonky horizon.
Report Spam   Logged
jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 05:29:26 pm »

It's a personal thing John lol... Sorry for mucking things about...
Report Spam   Logged

John

*** My Astro Blog ***

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum