Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:30:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Pigeon Top

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pigeon Top  (Read 537 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2010, 02:24:42 am »

Yesterday evening I decided I would drive up to the Pigeon Top to take a few photos near sunset. Pigeon Top is around 290 metres asl and I said to myself that the road should be fine up there-how wrong was I! After a bit of wheelspinning I reached the summit ok but it became apparent that going back down wasn,t going to be as easy. I managed about 20 shots before my fingers became really numb, it was well below freezing up there. The setting sun was casting a lovely orange hue across the countryside.  I decided to keep going rather than trying to turn the car and drive back up the hill with no momentum Pic 2.   I very nervously drove at 5mph because it was such a steep decline and the narrow road was a sheet of ice Shocked Pic 7.  The car was all over the place and I had to continue with 2 wheels up on the ditch-talk about sweating!   Won't be trying that again anytime soon-but it was worth it for the great views Smiley  

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:26:01 am »

Those are great shots Paul, it really does look bitterly cold. That last one says it all and looks rather steep and icy. Glad you made it back in one piece.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:41:13 am »

Well done you ! Glad you and your car got back in one piece. Excellent photos and  it's great to see how conditions are over there but I have to say I don't think I'd risk my  car in that ,could be rather costly,that's the problem with snow, I think the only photos you can get without risking your vehicle are very local conditions within walking distance which, of course, drastically limits the opportunities . Not the same with regular storms where it's normally just wet conditions, sometimes winds  in which a car can normally remain undamaged.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 05:54:32 pm »

Thanks Richard and John.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:43:53 am »

Great shots Paul, I love the view of the roads and the depth in the last 3, some convection going on there too. That looks like a hair raising drive, I can feel my adrenaline pumping just looking at the images, bet you were glad to be on the ground again. Well worth it for the images and the bitter Winter experience. Nice  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

jjb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:50:02 am »

Nice set of photos Paul it is some time since we have had a hard frost here you have captured the scene well the forecast for the week ahead is for it to remain cold it should give plenty of photo ops that road looks treacherous.

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »

Cheers guys it certainly was a hazardous drive. I forgot to mention in my post that those shower clouds were over Donegal to my north-west and I was willing them my way hoping they would produce snow but I watched them for a while and they were tracking south-west.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:45:32 pm »

Great set of photos Paul!  Cool

The views pretty much sum up the views round me here in the English Midlands.  Went on a shopping trip to Shrewsbury yesterday, taking in the scenery as I went along, the Shropshire Hills including The Wrekin and Clee Hills are completly snow covered above about 300m asl.  I live at 169m asl so it needs to get a bit colder overall before I see any lying snow at my house...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum