Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 12:21:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Possible NLCs (Jun.27,28)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible NLCs (Jun.27,28)  (Read 274 times)
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2008, 09:50:47 am »

I haven't payed too much attention to this before because at the time there were many other NLC displays (Jun.26, Jul.07, 13). But now I'm reviewing my photos of June-July, and I decided to post here these 2 photos. It looked a bit like a simple glow during dusk, but I have a suggestion that these were type I NLCs.

June 27, ~22 h. (only 1,5 days after a bright display of Jun.26). NW direction.

June 28, ~22 h. N direction

rised contrast levels

I'm not sure on these and need your confirmation.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

It's difficult to say based on the image alone but the glow does look like the typical glow from a weak NLC display, probably a type 1 Veil or the upper portion of a more structured display below the tree line. It's the correct time and place so it probably was. There were wide spread NLC sightings on June 27th all over the world. I would say yes  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:14:41 pm »

(...) the glow does look like the typical glow from a weak NLC display, probably a type 1 Veil or the upper portion of a more structured display below the tree line. It's the correct time and place so it probably was. There were wide spread NLC sightings on June 27th all over the world. I would say yes  Smiley
Thanks Martin.  Smiley This "yes" means that I have 4+2 NLC displays this summer.  Smiley Not bad for the first time (I started observing them in mid-June, and Jun.26 was my first). Now I can add them to my NLC page.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum