Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 05:10:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Interesting cloud formation (satellite photo)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting cloud formation (satellite photo)  (Read 342 times)
brianb

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2009, 11:34:40 am »

Look at the 0800 IR satellite image from the Met Office site (which I don't want to reproduce here for copyright reasons). There is a line of bright clouds embedded in the general overcast, extending south west from Belfast Lough reaching about halfway to Galway Bay.

Embedded convective cloud marking a front boundary?

Weather here is horrid, 2C with a strong SE wind & continuous slightly sleety rain - wouldn't take much to turn it into a blizzard & it probably is on the higher hills!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:00:59 pm »

Brian, I see these IR images on Ukww and other sites, are you sure you can't post them  ? They post Raintoday too

I've  just had a look at the 1100 UTC image but don't see these clouds now but yours was the 0800 image.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:10:58 pm »

Not sure but they are marked (c) Copyright EUMETSAT/Met Office & I don't want to offend.

The 0800 image will be available till shortly after 0800 tomorrow on the animation posted here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum