Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 08:50:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Nacreous Clouds (Mother of Pearl) - Have You Seen Them?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nacreous Clouds (Mother of Pearl) - Have You Seen Them?  (Read 2098 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:22:21 pm »

I have been researching the remarkable phenomena of Nacreous Clouds, also known as 'Mother of Pearl' or 'Polar Stratospheric Clouds' (PSCs). They normally form during Winter months at high latitudes and are very rare over the UK. During the ninties there where wide spread spectacular displays over UK and Ireland reaching as far south as England. I have never seen them before but will be scanning for them after sunset, and before dawn, over the Winter Months ahead. My question is, has anyone on here ever seen them?, and have you any images?. Thanks in advance.

I've asked the same question on the UKWW.

Here's a nice youtube video clip

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:04 pm »

Jonathan Bingham reports seeing them from NI in the nineties, and I think Dr. Andy Mc Crea observed and even photographed them too.

John Mason told me he seen a display on April 1989 from NW Scotland on a cold snow day, he's currently looking for the slides at the moment.

Anyone else?
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:45:36 pm »

Can't remember seeing them, ever. How long after sunset / before sunrise?
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:05:57 pm »

Never seen anything like that before, what kind of atmospheric conditions are needed for these nacreous clouds to appear Martin?  I'll be keeping a lookout for them now too.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:52:02 pm »

Brian, I believe they are little like NLCs and are best 1 to 2 hours after sunset and again before dawn, although on occasion they are visible in daylight.

Paul, frigid temps in the stratosphere are needed for their formation, that's all I know.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »

This is from Les Cowley

Nacreous clouds, sometimes called mother-of-pearl clouds, are rare but once seen are never forgotten. They are mostly visible within two hours after sunset or before dawn when they blaze unbelievably bright with vivid and slowly shifting iridescent colours. They are filmy sheets slowly curling and uncurling, stretching and contracting in the semi-dark sky. Compared with dark scudding low altitude clouds that might be present, nacreous clouds stand majestically in almost the same place - an indicator of their great height.

They need the very frigid regions of the lower stratosphere some 15 - 25 km (9 -16 mile) high and well above tropospheric clouds. They are so bright after sunset and before dawn because at those heights they are still sunlit. They are seen mostly during winter at high latitudes like Scandinavia, Iceland, Alaska and Northern Canada. Sometimes, however, they occur as far south as England. They can be less rare downwind of mountain ranges. Elsewhere their appearance is often associated with severe tropospheric winds and storms. Nacreous clouds far outshine and have much more vivid colours than ordinary iridescent clouds which are very much poor relations and seen frequently all over the world.

Nacreous clouds are wave clouds. They are often found downwind of mountain ranges which induce gravity waves in the lower stratosphere. Their sheet-like forms slowly undulate and stretch as the waves evolve. The clouds can also be associated with very high surface winds which may indicate the presence of, or induce, winds and waves in the stratosphere. They form at temperatures of around minus 85ºC, colder than average lower stratosphere temperatures, and are comprised of ice particles ~10µm across. The clouds must be composed of similar sized crystals to produce the characteristic bright iridescent colours by diffraction and interference. Nacreous clouds are a type of Polar

POLAR STRATOSPHERIC CLOUDS

Type II
Nacreous clouds composed of ice crystals with temperatures of ~minus 85ºC.   

Type I
Less spectacular than nacreous clouds, more diffuse and less bright colours. Sometimes nacreous clouds are embedded in them. Type I clouds are slightly warmer (~ minus 78ºC) than Type II and are composed of exotic solids or liquid droplets.

Type Ia
Crystalline compounds of water and nitric acid - especially NAT, nitric acid trihydrate HNO3.3H2O

Type Ib
Small spherical droplets of a solution of nitric and sulphuric acids.

Type Ic
Small non spherical particles of a metastable nitric acid - water phase

PSCs were long regarded as curiosities and of no real consequence. However, Type I clouds are now known as sites of harmful destruction of stratospheric ozone over the Antarctic and Arctic.  Their surfaces act as catalysts which convert more benign forms of man-made chlorine into active free radicals (for example ClO, chlorine monoxide). During the return of Spring sunlight these radicals destroy many ozone molecules in a series of chain reactions. Cloud formation is doubly harmful because it also removes gaseous nitric acid from the stratosphere which would otherwise combine with ClO to form less reactive forms of chlorine.

Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:34:11 pm »

I have seen some reports (not recent) from Murmansk (69N latitude)
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
jjb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:55:56 pm »

Martin i recall it was the early nineties i wonder would the local met office have any records of it i must hunt out my old photos just incase i took some of them.

jonathan.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:12:13 pm »

Cheers Jonathan, if you could find any images that would be cool. Many reports from that period seem to be from 1996, I wonder if that was the same year.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 01:52:13 pm »

Hi Martin.
I don't think i've seen Nacreous clouds, but I regularly see alot of iridescence in clouds.  Living just to the east of the welsh mountains lee wave clouds are reasonably common, and these, coupled with iridescence can /could look quite similar to Nacreous to the untrained eye.  The 2 forming processes are completely different though.  Next time we get some i'll make sure I get a picture!
Mark
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:57:05 pm »

What a wonderful sight .I'd love to see them.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 01:35:09 pm »

Thanks for the info Mark!

John, I too would love to see them, they could appear anytime from now on...
Report Spam   Logged

Mickyjoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 09:35:32 pm »

wow...beautiful clouds. i will keep an eye out for this, i just love clouds..im always out before sunset and sometimes i see weird but nice cloud formations and colours. this is very interesting. thanks for this martin...good job  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Olympus E-420 14-42mm Lens.
Skywatcher  150 f/5 Dobsonian

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum