Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 07:39:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

North Devon Seas

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: North Devon Seas  (Read 555 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 05:18:04 pm »

Took myself to Bude and Hartland yesterday. Should I have gone to the south coast instead ? Not so sure - I experienced only 42 mph. winds they were much higher on the south coast and lower sea levels  too, by several metres. At a recorded  37-42 mph. on my anemometer I struggled to stand, infact I went down onto the rocks at sea level  and it was dangerous ,I had to nip smartly to the rock face on the side when the wind gusts stopped otherwise I'd have been over. ,I almost was twice and I was clutching my camera gear too. An old sweat there told me it wasn't safe so  if he says it's not safe, it's not safe. I abandoned my normal style of getting down to the level of the subject in the interests of my safety.. The lighting was different throughout the day changing as one squall after another went through hence the colour changes you see. After 3.00pm it started to brighten up but until then the skies were mainly a dark grey layer of stratus.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:30:24 pm »

John, glad to see you are back safe!. I think your trip was well worth it to come back with images like these, I love the contrast between white waves, frothing spray, and dark sky aloft all captured in perfect exposure. I can feel the wind just looking at them. The 1st and last images are my favourite, with the 1st looking like a nasty squall and last has captured a great sense of motion and power in the Sea  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:24:38 pm »

Cheers Martin. Yes, I do like the first one too - quite menacing. I posted these and my comments about the waves being higher here before I saw the lighthouse photos (New Haven) . What a video !! had I known that lighthouse was there I'd have gone to New Haven  as I've been looking for a lighthouse for ages - never mind maybe next time but it's been done now. I've got my eye on Penleven and Portreath, Cornwall. Southerlies, south westerlies and westerlies will do the job there but it's an overnight stop-  10 hours driving  there and back - maybe I'll go to New haven after all Lol. 6 hours return.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:48:05 pm »

Great shots John, you're much braver than I!. #3 and 4 are great with the wave action but the clouds somehow catch my eye in #5 even though the turbulent waves are less noticeable. Any special in-camera program or style for #5, very dramatic contrast, almost reminds me of a painting. That could almost pass for the moon hidden behind those clouds.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:05:12 pm »

Some lovely dramatic scenes captured there John. I like no. 4 the way it looks like the sun is shining on the back of the wave as it hits that rock and no. 5 is a superb shot with a great sky.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:40:56 pm »

Thanks for comments.

Richard. I used a 2-stop grad filter to reduce the sky exposure and thus preserve the exposure of the seas. I often use it.I have a 1-stop and also two ND filters. I'll use them when I find a waterfall.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:02:19 am »

The grad filter did it's job and worked very well John, again, fantastic images!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum