Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 09:43:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Possible Stormy Spell 13th to 19th Nov

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Stormy Spell 13th to 19th Nov  (Read 6870 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »

Yes, Paul Sherman got images and video of the funnel, must find the quote and add it. Damage to buildings and cars from the suspected tornado also. It was either a strong multicell or supercell.  Smiley

From BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8360298.stm

From Paul...

It was exactly at 915am - Can confirm I viewed a large Horizontal Funnel Cloud (About 2 Miles in length) just North of Benfleet from the A130 (North of Saddlers Farm Roundabout) It looks like as I got onto this Storm the Tornado had just lifted, the Funnel dissipated at 0925am and the rotation spawned another Funnel Cloud North of the A127 Over the South Woodham Ferriers Area, the track of this would have been straight S-N

Not an event I will forget in a hurry for the Uk

Paul S

Here's the full quote...

Hi

I drive into London every morning for work but left 1 hour earlier due to the Lord Mayors Show starting at 1030am today, got into the car and was hearing some amazing Thunder coming from the Storm about 3-4 Miles to my West, as I drove west the precip was all to my North and North West and I was still dry, when I got onto the A127 Westbound effectively the Rain Free Area was in front of me and a Large Thick Horizontal Funnel was streched out from North to South and the Top and bottom part of this was Vertical by about 300-500feet, this suggests to me that the Tornado had just lifted from Benfleet which was 1 Mile to my South and was "roping out" by the time I stopped on a layby on the A130 North of Saddlers Farm Roundabout the funnel was now above my head and the base of the cloud was now rushing away to my north, upon looking to the North the base was now North of the A127 Over the South Woodham Ferriers area and new funnel clouds were descending, the rotation was as good as most I have seen in the USA! My only gripe is no camera was with me and if it was this would have been some of the clearest Tornado footage from the Uk as the rain area was displaced to the North East of the Storm suggesting there was Differential Updraft and Downdrafts (Eg Low Topped Supercell or Severe Multi Cell Storm)

The Tornado has literally hit a street that is under 2 Miles from my House so will go down tomorrow am and get some pictures for you all

Paul S

Video of tornadic funnel forming....

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:39:53 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum