Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:00:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Possible Stormy Spell 13th to 19th Nov

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Stormy Spell 13th to 19th Nov  (Read 6854 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2009, 03:30:22 am »

Seen an impressive night time lightning display between 02.30 and 03.00 local time from Maghera looking E and NE towards at least two storm cells a great distance away over the Irish Sea. Counted 13 intense blue flashes which reflected off the clouds in the opposite sector of sky and one amazing anvil crawler. Small clear sectors appeared in the cloud and a huge solid anvil top could be seen on the horizon lighting up. The storms where too distant for photography however the visual scene was a joy to watch. Just wish they had been closer!.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2009, 03:38:52 am »

Very good that would have been cool to see, u must be in a relatively high location
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:35 am »

Some heavy showers here this morning
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2009, 02:02:16 pm »

Reports coming in of a tornado in Essex
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »

Yes, Paul Sherman got images and video of the funnel, must find the quote and add it. Damage to buildings and cars from the suspected tornado also. It was either a strong multicell or supercell.  Smiley

From BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8360298.stm

From Paul...

It was exactly at 915am - Can confirm I viewed a large Horizontal Funnel Cloud (About 2 Miles in length) just North of Benfleet from the A130 (North of Saddlers Farm Roundabout) It looks like as I got onto this Storm the Tornado had just lifted, the Funnel dissipated at 0925am and the rotation spawned another Funnel Cloud North of the A127 Over the South Woodham Ferriers Area, the track of this would have been straight S-N

Not an event I will forget in a hurry for the Uk

Paul S

Here's the full quote...

Hi

I drive into London every morning for work but left 1 hour earlier due to the Lord Mayors Show starting at 1030am today, got into the car and was hearing some amazing Thunder coming from the Storm about 3-4 Miles to my West, as I drove west the precip was all to my North and North West and I was still dry, when I got onto the A127 Westbound effectively the Rain Free Area was in front of me and a Large Thick Horizontal Funnel was streched out from North to South and the Top and bottom part of this was Vertical by about 300-500feet, this suggests to me that the Tornado had just lifted from Benfleet which was 1 Mile to my South and was "roping out" by the time I stopped on a layby on the A130 North of Saddlers Farm Roundabout the funnel was now above my head and the base of the cloud was now rushing away to my north, upon looking to the North the base was now North of the A127 Over the South Woodham Ferriers area and new funnel clouds were descending, the rotation was as good as most I have seen in the USA! My only gripe is no camera was with me and if it was this would have been some of the clearest Tornado footage from the Uk as the rain area was displaced to the North East of the Storm suggesting there was Differential Updraft and Downdrafts (Eg Low Topped Supercell or Severe Multi Cell Storm)

The Tornado has literally hit a street that is under 2 Miles from my House so will go down tomorrow am and get some pictures for you all

Paul S

Video of tornadic funnel forming....

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:39:53 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 05:51:24 pm »

60 or more homes damaged according to reports from the suspected tornado.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 06:21:47 pm »

BBC R4 news (6pm) mentioned a second tornado at Lowestoft. Not aware of any confirmation or whether a line squall can be ruled out.

As for severe weather - here we got about 4mm of rainfall overnight, & the wind never even got to gale force. Sort of a semi-damp squib.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 07:03:29 pm »

Thanks for the info Brian, there's mention of a 2nd tornado at that location on the UKWW but so far its true nature is unknown, and maybe a squall as you said, not enough reports in yet.

Paul Sherman who seen the tornado over Essex said it was the most remarkable UK rotation he has ever seen and even up there with some of the US tornadoes he has observed while chasing there.

Apart from the lightning show last night, which was really over the Irish Sea, it was damp squip here too, it was actually calm here all night with light to moderate rainfall so nothing to report.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 07:14:54 pm »

Report from the 'Echoe'

UP to 60 homes were damaged after a suspected tornado whipped through group of Benfleet streets.

Many homes in The Lawns, The Fairway, Eversley Road, Woodside Avenue and Arundel Road lost roof tiles while a handful had chimney pots and television aerials ripped off their roofs.

Fortunately no one was hurt in the freak storm which happened at around 9.15am and lasted just seconds.

Eyewitness Adele Ashdown, 29, of The Lawns, said: “I heard a massive gale.

“The windows were shaking hard. Looking out you could see this grey swirl with lots of stuff in it.

“It was over in a second.”

Miss Ashdown lost a few roof tiles from her home but many houses were left with huge holes in their roofs.

Police closed off The Fairway, where eight homes were effected, and parts of The Lawns, Arundel Road and Seamore Avenue, for safety reasons.

Firefighters used their ariel ladder platform to help repair damaged roofs, while residents began their own clean up mission.

Car windows were smashed by flying debris and the side of a house in Woodside View was seriously damaged and will be examined by a structural engineer.

Highways Agency and Essex County Council staff were also on site within an hour to help with the clean up.

Station officer Simon Dedman said: "A severe storm hit The Fairway area of Benfleet this morning and what is believed to have been a tornado had ripped through the street and surrounding area of up to half a square mile.

“Firefighters worked professionally and their first priority was the safety of the public and then making the houses safe.

"Approximately 60 houses in total were affected, with mainly roof tiles and TV aerials coming off, eight of those houses were seriously affected with some of their roofs being blown off, fire crews made them safe using the aerial ladder platform.”

Crews from Rayleigh Weir and Basildon Fire Stations finfished making the area safe just after 1pm.

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »

Outlook for Sunday from Tony Gilbert....

6pm Sat

Slight Risk of Thunderstorms perimeter regions of the UK 00Z-15Z

Slight Risk of Brief Tornado South & SE coastal regions UK 00Z-09Z

Further troughing expected to bring convective showers to coastal regions across the UK overnight and into Sunday. Deep upper trough expands to surround much of the UK increasing lapse rates. Particularly so close to relatively mild Sea Surface Temps are blown inland. Upper jet stream axis remains to the south of the UK but will influence winds enough for a time during early morning to trigger the potential for some stronger convective activity within a strong upper Positive Vorticity Max. If we look at the low level shear vertical wind profiles we can see the low end scale of brief tornado genesis for the south coast, SE and eastern coast of E.Anglia for a period 00Z-09Z. The risk will transport from west of the risk box to the eastern sector steadily through this period. Risk of tornadoes remains glued to 'coastal convergence' specifically. The risk for low level vorticity looks strong and may be ingested into and strong convective cell making landfall.

Restriction ATM for tornado geneses would seem that potential instability may not be realised as the dry tongue moves too slowly behind the surface trough.

Some uncertainties for the remainder of Sunday given limited moisture and the potential for advected mild sea air to move inland. The GFS are currently having trouble developing precip for this reason. In many ways this scenario could in fact deliver some spectacular isolated cb's as John mentioned, with hail and marginal thunder activity for a time.

The shear conditions for the remainder of Sunday will remain borderline to updraft/ downdraft separation. So probably not good to underestimate what the outlook could deliver at this point.

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2009, 08:58:07 pm »

Here's a link to the IR sat images showing those storm anvils over the Irish Sea last night...

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=33431&posts=7&start=1
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2009, 09:26:17 pm »

Were they the cells i was looking out for lightniing last night?
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2009, 10:24:53 pm »

Yes, those are the same ones Padraig, they moved further N and I could see them from here flashing away.
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2009, 10:29:14 pm »

WHAT!! you have got to be high up?? Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2009, 11:22:09 pm »

Good point, and I forgot that Paul asked that earlier, woops I forgot....I wasn't high up at all, in fact I was in a low lying area which was quite flat which faced SE, E, and NE with a good view. I could see the lightning flashes gradually move across the sky from R to L as the storms went NE. This is why I was impressed by them, those cells must have been enormous for me to have actually seen the anvil tops at that distance.  Smiley

Stuart also seen a few of those flashes from Belfast around the same time.

There's storm coverage on Ch 4 news tonight showing a possible tornado/water spout over the Sea in S. Britain which apparently on youtube, I can't seem to find it though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum