Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 03:32:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Leonid Meteor shower

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leonid Meteor shower  (Read 5935 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 06:05:09 pm »

Another excellent report Martin, a very good read. Loved how you described the geese against the stars with the Leonids racing past, that must have been magnificent. Your experience with the fireball sounded incredible and you've convinced me to try and get to clear skies tonight  Wink

Excellent work as always Martin.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »

Thanks very much Tyler for your kind words  Smiley, I really hope you get a clear sky and catch some of this action. Looks like you had a good time in the snow anyway, that's two falls you had this year already, it's still as mild as can be here.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2009, 07:13:22 pm »

Here's a selection of images of the train in the correct order with times supplied. You can see the rapid changes in the train as the wind does its thing high in the atmosphere.

Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 08:35:41 pm »

Class report Martin, that would have been some sight.     Probably just a coincidence but i seen a flock of geese too, flying south in a V formation they numbered about 10-12, they were fairly low. This was around 0530, could have been same ones??
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2009, 09:50:33 pm »

Very nice Martin!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2009, 11:40:13 pm »

Thanks for the comments Dennis, Paul and Mark  Smiley

Paul, yes that would have been around the same time. I actually seen two Geese formations during the night at different times which was a nice experience. Both where in the NE to E sky sectors.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2009, 05:54:02 am »

A superb report and accompanying images Martin - you convey the excitement of the moment brilliantly. Moreover glad to see that you were so well rewarded after so many years of dedicated meteor observing by such a spectacular display - and by having it reproduced by SW.

As well as not seeing the fireball, I failed to capture it either even though my camera was in a north-easterly part of the sky. In fact out of the best part of almost eighty shots, I only managed to capture a single meteor which made an appearance right of the edge of a frame and after the sky was already brightening yesterday (17th) morning. Still, the clear & moonless night made for an enjoyable observing session, nonetheless!  Smiley

BTW liked your firework & Halloween images on your website too!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
rjgjr
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:34 am »

Great catch Andy!
Report Spam   Logged
Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »

I had an unxpected clearance tonight at 23:30-23:50 EET, have seen 2 Leonids while setting up outside, but then the clouds quickly rolled in. Still have a hope of clear morning...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009, 10:51:23 pm »

Well done Andy!, I think any meteor capture, even if it's a faint one, is a great success, they are such sneaky things aren't they. Glad you got a satisying result from the night.  Smiley

For the record, the big fireball I saw was not in the NE, but slightly E of N (L), where it was located between Andromeda and Lacerta. The smoke train itself drifted to the left and looped around M31 which I have on an image just before it faded below baked eye visibility. I hope the Geminids produce a good FB in Dec, and hopefully we will have clearer weather for it, which I suspect we will.

Thanks for the comments Andy about the FB and fireworks etc. Much appreciated.

That was an awesome bolide fireball over the US today, check out the video clips on SW, the shock wave actually shook houses.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum