Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 04:30:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

just practicing

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: just practicing  (Read 448 times)
Danny Power

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:48:45 pm »

i have just purchased a camera so just before the full moon i decided to get a few shots of it from my back garden. remember i am learning lol

could anyone tell me if this was a planet with the moon it was taken lookin to the southwest on 29/10/09 at 19.40.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 05:10:16 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

My Web Hosting site- www.powerwebhostinguk.com

My blog- www.natureunleashed.wordpress.com (this will become a proper site shortly)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:56:05 pm »

[ IMG ]http://i34.tinypic.com/11kkydu.jpg[ /img ]

could anyone tell me if this was a planet with the moon it was taken lookin to the southwest on 29/10/09 at 19.40.

[ IMG ]http://i35.tinypic.com/2wrg414.jpg[ /img ]

Danny, The links should look like I've posted in the quote but without the spaces in the [ ] ...

That's quite a nice shot of the moon. looks like it was a bit misty... I've had a look in stellarium, as I didn't think there was a planet log in the south west at that time, and I'm not showing anything. I looked last night, instead of the 29th, but it's not going to have changed that much. I'm not sure what you caught there... If I had to guess... I'd say it's probably a bright star but the camera hasn't got the focus right... sorry.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:00:20 pm »

That is a great shot for just starting out Danny. I don't have anything in front of me so I'm not sure, but that might have been Jupiter in the vicinity of the moon at that time.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:14:30 pm »

I edited the post to remove the IMG in the second image...looks fine now. Danny, those are great first time shots of the Moon, especially no. 1, that's MUCH better than I ever got when I started so I think you are off to a great start. The exposure and focus is very good with a well defined terminator. Glad to see you got the hang of the posting so fast.

That reminds me, a sticky thread on how to post images is something that's been needed for a long time to help new members, I've meant to do it some time ago but had forgotten, will put it on the 'to do' list unless someone else wants to do it.
Report Spam   Logged

Danny Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:14:41 pm »

is there a website where i can see where the planets will roughly be? i would love to get an image with a planet or two along with the moon lol
Report Spam   Logged

My blog- www.natureunleashed.wordpress.com (this will become a proper site shortly)
Danny Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:28:49 pm »

thanks for the kind words guys,

as i speak the moon is looking bright in the sky above a neighbours house so i might try get a few more shots before the clouds roll in. wouldnt it be great if it was only cloudy when there was a thunderstorm during the day then clear for observing all night. what cruelty lol

Report Spam   Logged

jgs001

Horsham, Sussex, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:55:12 am »

Danny, you can download stellarium for free... it'll turn your computer into a planetarium... Also big dipper posts up monthly viewing guides so anything like a conjunction of planets should be reported in there, and any of the mags should also indicate anything interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

John
Canon 450d, EF-S 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Raynox DCR250
HQE5 + C80ED & Vista 80s. NexStar Skymax 102 SLT.

*** My Astro Blog ***
Danny Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:03 pm »

Grin thanks for this guys, I really appreciate your kind words and help. I have now downloaded stellarium and i think its pretty cool thanks. now i just need some clear skies and i'll be sorted lol
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum