Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 04:36:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Halloween Hell of severe thunderstorms over Naas Co Kildare Ireland 2009

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Halloween Hell of severe thunderstorms over Naas Co Kildare Ireland 2009  (Read 425 times)
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2009, 01:15:29 am »

Hello everybody hav'nt been on this forum in a long time

I see the news of the severe thunderstorm that we had here is spreading on this forum
well i can tell you it hit me and it was like hell on earth beneath it the wind was so strong but the lightning was terrifying very close indeed constant cracking thunder then all of a sudden hail the size of 2 cents coins came dumping down alarms went off everywere then power went for like ten minutes, then i caught me first funnel cloud right over my head and i have never seen such rapid rotation right next to me i taught the funnel was going to come down right on top of me very scary indeed i have soe great pics but there are on IWN ( Irish Weather Network ) weather forum  if you would like to have a peek    http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php/topic,597.msg10108.html#new

Hope everyone is doing well

Padraig
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:47:29 am »

Some nice shots there Padraig, seemed to be a rough storm according to all the reports going round.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:07:11 am by paulster78 » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:18:28 am »

Padraig, thanks very much for posting your exciting report on here with a link to the images. You must have had a thrilling day to get such great convective action. I noticed that the CAPE was stronger in your area with good shear so I had a feeling you might see something cool. I was surprised by what you did get though....a mental t-storm and a rotating wall cloud with funnel/lowering. I love the fact that you caught a rainbow along with it, the cell itself looks great. Congratulations again and keep watching the sky...I think your'e on a roll now  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:21:31 am »

Cheers Martin it really was a thrilling day but isnt it very unusual for late autumn??

P.S. moderate rain here now atm
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:46:44 am »

The weird thing about Ireland and UK is that t-storms can happen all year round, although they are less likely to happen far inland during Autumn and Winter due to cool surface temps. The Ocean is warmer at this time which why most storms develop over coastal areas. Dublin today had good instability (for the time of year +400 CAPE) with a  negative LI, impressive lapse rates, and wind shear to separate updraught from downdraught so those are good ingredients for storms. Lucky you!!!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:08 am »

Nice photos Padraig, thanks for experiencing them for us.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »

Cool! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum