Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 05:38:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

funnel cloud pics

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: funnel cloud pics  (Read 469 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:38:56 pm »

As promised here are my funnel cloud pics from the past 2 years. Bear in mind that these are all taken with a camera phone so quality isnt great. Things have changed now and my camera comes everywhere with me.
The first two are from my first ever sighting on pigeon top near Omagh. I had been watching this storm pass by but never dreamed it would produce a funnel. It was pure luck i'll never forget that day. I just wish id had a decent camera or camcorder with me.
3rd picture shows a funnel cloud lowering down over lisburn. I was working in wallace park at the time and i cant remember there being much thunder and lightning or rain it just seemed to appear and i wasnt expecting it.
The last 3 pics are from a funnel that came out of a storm near enniskillen on 31 may 2008. At one point i thought it might actually reach the ground but no. This is the closest ive been to one and i could actually see the rotation which was very cool.  Enjoy!

[/img]
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:49:52 pm »

Great shota Paul, straight out of the Wizard of Oz.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:15:52 am »

Fantastic images Paul, and thanks very much for taking the time out to post them. All of those are top quality funnels, and the images look very dramatic!. The one with the building is a cracker, check out the well developed updraught towers in the background. The last three are brilliant with a nice rope, great to see some funnel pics again. You seem to be a magnet for them Paul...I hope you catch many more!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 01:41:10 am »

Cheers Martin i hope so too, alhough this year has been disappointing for me, ive only seen one small funnel from a long way off and didnt manage to get any pictures. Is there any chance of much activity this time of year with very little heating from the sun?
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:47:07 am »

This year was a good one for me, I seen 8 funnels, most of which where distant. None of them compare to the big one which I saw during July 2007 though. I hope to catch a touch down at some stage. I have a good feeling about the 2010 season. I reckon we will bag a few beauties then  Smiley

Funnels are possible at any time of year although you are more likely to catch them during the Spring and Summer when convection is stronger. Autumn ,and particularly Winter, are great times for strong tornadoes from cold fronts, although few are seen due to the longer hours of darkness. The best convection, thunderstorms, and funnel chances at this time of year are near coastal areas, that's the place to be if you want to catch something cool.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 01:59:49 am »

Unfortunately im no where near the coast so its fingers crossed for 2010, may we have many storms.  speaking of storms this weekend is looking good! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:48:39 am »

Very dramatic pictures Paul!!!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:46:28 am »

Good captures and not too bad for a mobile phone- the quality of them is really good now 2 years on - I think some  are up at 4Mp. which isn't  bad atall.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum